Healthy hydrangeas but.....

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

not one flower this year!! How odd!! These are second year cuttings but bloomed in their first year! But I think it's because the new buds in Spring were killed by a late frost. Hope this doesn't happen again next Spring. As it is, I planted an aster Clara Curtis, a small plant, in between the hydrangeas and to my surprise and shock the aster has grown at least 4 foot high and wider, thereby smothering the hydrangeas, but it's so beautiful I'm not moving it until the Spring. How have your hydrangeas performed this summer??

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Not one single bloom! Plants died clear back from drought. Coming out now with green leaves, down at ground.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Then they are OK Hibiscus but what a shame they had to go through such a dry summer. The drought has been terrible here too and the restrictions on water usage drastic!! Aren't hydrangeas such true champions though. They take so much punishment but come back time after time. That's why I love them so much. I have added more mulch this year and I'm sure mine will survive too. There is a well founded theory about placement of shrubs. If a plant faces East, produces new buds in the Spring and there is a frost, that the early morning sun will damage the bud. I guess it means that the buds thaw out too quickly. Mine face East beside the house walls and I'm going to try and find out a method to protect the buds should we incur more late frosts. I really do want to see flowers next year.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Louisa........my three Annabelles put out wonderful bloom, and Bluebird was covered in blossoms.....Ayesha(a new one is the most exquisite rosy-burgundy-pink)and the oakleafs and the peegee have had a very good season! Elaine

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm gnashing my teeth here...lol!! I don't know how long I have wanted Ayesha Elaine!!! Any chance of a cutting or two, she asks hopefully. I haven't updated my collection of shrubs/plants in my journal but it has grown enormously and I hope that I may have something you would want in exchange. I really must get to grips with the journal!! I can imagine how beautiful your hydrangea displays have been for you this year but they are established, right!!

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

louisa, try Penny Mac, All Summer Beauty, or Endless Summer. they all bloom on new growth. many other mopheads won't bloom if the winters are too cold.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Mine got the bloom buds killed by 3 late freezes. It was a baby from the one at work, which is blooming beautifully right now but is 1,000 ft. lower in altitude and up against a warm brick wall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.