gritters are out

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

:-(

just back home from doing a call to someone about bats. There was a gritter out gritting the motorway. time now to bring in my orchids and other frost tender plants. I hate this time of year.

and in 2 week time the clocks go back an hour meaning we come home from work in the dark and I get a touch of SAD which I can already feel kicking in so I went for a long walk after work to get some sun.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

there was afrost onthe house roofs yesterday morning down our way.i went out to check my plants, but they all seemed fine. every year I say that I'm going to be organized in getting in my plants, and every year I don't!!!Have been lucky the last couple of years as they've just kept on growing outside on my patio through the winter, but I know I'll come a cropper one year !Half the problem is my greenhouse is still full of toms growing away,I'm still picking quite a few every day.And my sun-lounge is full of seeds drying off, and cuttings on the window-sills.
Don't you use a light box Mark?i've heard that they're good.we've been told about them at the M.E. clinic, so for them to be reccommended by a health worker must mean that they have some effect surely?not that I've bought one either LOL.I sat out the other afternoon,I have a little gravel garden, with a seat that's tucked down in under the clematis, and it's a real suntrap, mind you I did have to go in to put some socks on, it was a bit nippy round the old ankles.I sometimes wish we could hibernate until spring.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

my SAD isnt that bad I just get lethargic. I need to sleep alot anyway

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Ice on the bird bath yesterday morning, which didn't thaw til late afternoon! :-(
My SisIL suffers quite badly from SAD. She's from Italy and finds the winters in Cambridge quite difficult to cope with.

I am sure that my mother would sympathise with your sister in law Philomel - she is from Rome and still feeling cold after fifty years of being exposed to the eastern winds blowing off the fens. She also finds the sheer flatness of the landscape very depressing !

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Your mother's living in east Anglia as well?
Paola's from Armeno (near Lake Orta) and they go back there each summer, but she also lived in Milan and their daughter is now living there.

I expect you speak Italian as well then? So useful to be fluent in more than one language!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.