Asparagus

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I have asparagus growing in my flower bed. When is the best time to transplant it?
Jan in Illinois

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Jan, right now! And send it to me LOL

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I know this was seriously delayed, but why are you wanting to transplant your Asparagus?

Kathy, I bought Mary Washington asparagus crowns from good old WalMart last year - I think there were two dozen crowns in that $4 bag. I planted half, and gave the rest to my mom. (There's only my husband and I to eat them, and we just want enough to get a few nice-size spears from, a few times in the spring.)

Those dozen plants produced a BUNCH of nice healthy topgrowth last year, so I'm hoping we can take a small harvest this spring. The only "secret" was that I double-dug the bed and added about 50 pounds of mushroom compost.

So if you can't find any seeds or starts, it is surprisingly inexpensive to buy enough for a nice patch :)

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Terry :) Almost all mine died last year: out of 10 crowns, only one came up last summer. And it was very sickly, only got 2 fronds. They were all 4 years old; had thrived before. I will have to either figure out what happened or plant a whole new area for them (where? dunno. Do they grow in full shade? LOL)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.