monkshood STILL not opened! Oct first!!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Well, I have 2 of them. A good 5 feet tall. And still not opened. GGRRRRR! Will they?

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine started blooming about a week ago. It isn't that tall though. Just about 2 ft. This it's first year planted. I did move (cut down) some Hollyhock to let it get more sun. But during the big wind storm from Lilli, it got bent in half. Hoping it will survive and finish blooming. Very unusual bloom. It really does look like a Monk with a hood!! LOL

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

I think they should, mine started flowering just as it started to get cold, and are still blooming, although we've had 4 nights of frost. Mine are only 3 feet tall though.

Here's hoping ;-)

Wintermoor

OOPS Sorry!!!

I Didn't realise that these posts were so old .... WELL????

Did they bloom ?? :-)

Wintermoor

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine died after being knocked over in the wind by a hollyhock!

That's sad Celia, cos mine's have bloomed for ages. as I said there are still blooms on them and it is -2°C here at the moment.

Wintermoor

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wintermoor: I found this PDB thread that should answer your question about Mimi's monkshood: http://davesgarden.com/t/364559/

Thanks Weezin',

well I suppose we can put this thread to bed then ... eh? ...LOL

Wintermoor

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I don't think we ever put these threads to bed. They just catnap until the next time we give 'em a shake and start them again!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I've got 2 types of monk's hood. One blooms early in the year and the other blooms really late like this one you have shown here. Here's the one I have that blooms early. June 26

Thumbnail by hczone6
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

hczone6: That's a beauty! I've never grown domestic monkshood before. Are there different varieties that bloom early or late?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll see if I can dig up the tags that came with them. I'm sure they are different, but I don't know the names off the top of my head.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'd sure appreciate hearing back if you do happen to find the tags.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I found both tags, but only one has the full name. It's the one that bloomed earlier. Name is aconitum Napellus. Hardy to zone 4

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

hczone6: I found this page on the web. They list A. napellus as blooming in the spring, but A. carmichaelii as blooming in the fall. You have to scroll down to Aconitum. http://www.marysplantfarm.com/perennials.htm On the other sites I checked out, they listed both for late summer/fall, but this company is in Ohio, so it may be more correct for you.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I was reading Christopher Lloyds book on seed sowing last night , and in there he says about collecting seed from mollis, which he states 'flowers too late here to make any viable seed for collection'( England mainly being classed as zone 8)I planted two in my garden, that I'd grown from seed, and both have vanished!I'm sure that I must have slugs the size of badgers here, with the speed that they manage to demolish my plants! Quite large plants too.I grew a hellebore, one that is supposed to be sweetly scented, nurtured this plant for 3 years, till I thought it was big enough to go it in the soil, planted it, it did fine, until last winter, just as it was putting on a bit of bulk, working up to flower, then,over a couple of days, it's down to the stalk!!!!I forgot about it , until I cleared the plants around it a cuople of weeks ago, and it's in leaf again. Dare I hope? Or will they wait till it's nice and juicy and about to flower again?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sueone: I would think that your plants will come back next year. I had some campanula carpatica that the slugs ate down to the ground, and by the end of the season, I could see new growth. I'd take some measures to get rid of your slugs. There are some baits out there that are harmless to pets and wildlife, but they kill slugs!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.