Air - Layering

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm on a roll. I went on air-layering patrol today. I did my blue potato bush, Iochroma, a passion vine, St Joseph vine, and a whole bunch of brugs. I'm having such rotten luch with cuttings - I hope these will work out better. I still have more I want to try it with. I hope frost will stay away long enough for these to take.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

poppysue,
good luck.
I should try that to.
I had no luck with cuttings from my passiflora.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I meant to bring home stuff to do that with, but forgot. I need to try it on some brugs that i want to bring a big piece of in.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

poppysue... do you cut fully around the bark, or leave a portion intact so it still gets nourishment while growing new roots?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Darius - I just made a little "v" cuts in the bark and dusted with rootone. I didn't cut all the way around the bark. Not sure if I really did it right. I'm just winging it and hoping it works.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Let us know how it works, poppysue. I have seen both methods espoused but have tried neither. Anxious to try!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm bumping this thread to ask how these did?
sidney

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

This is a good one to bump up. Thanks, Sidney! I want to know the answer to.
:) Donna

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I used this method on my 2 flowering crabapple and smoketree.
I just found a high elevated (needs to have sun) sturdy stem in late May.
Removed the leaves where the wrap was going to be.
Scraped the bark alittle in 2-3 places
sprinked root tone
wrapped moistened spaghum moss
covered with plastic wrap
covered with alumium foil
used twister ties on the top and bottom to help seal
this was my first attempt.
I had 60 % success. You can tell if it works as the leaves will be dead above the wrap if it does not take root.
A master Gardener told me how to do it at the flower and garden show last year. They were using it to propagate japanese maples. I am trying to improve the percentage. Maybe cutting the 'V' is better.
Linda

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

I REALLY want to do this to my Meyer lemon to propagate a plant for my grandmother. But I thought that I should wait till spring.... what's the verdict on that?!

Sarah

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

We have done this for years on Azaleas and any low branching shrubs. We just lay a rock on the limb and forget about it for a while. In a month or so it will be ready to cut and move. We don't use any thing like roottone and we don't cut or scrap the limb. I haven't tried any brugs or passion vines however.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Bump

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.