cold frames? or not???

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have planted seeds under lites for spring planting.
i have seeds that say- "plant in cold frame autumn"
"coldframe spring" open cold frame spring or autumn?
why? can these kinds of seeds be started inside under lites?
im not sure what to do *SIGH*. I have so many new seeds from trading-i dont want to plant them wrong.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

notmartha: I don't have a coldframe, would like to have one,though. I have planted seeds for years, even had a small greenhouse business. I think they mean, the seeds need cold stratification to break dormancy. Why don't you try the winter sowing method. I am going to try it this year. I have sowed the seeds inside with good results, a few varieties didn't germinate, don't know if it was the seed or me. Debby

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

If your seeds need cold stratification you can plant them in your containers, set the containers in a safe spot outside, and then come early spring you can bring them in to place under your lights. Or you can place the plant containers in the freezer. I usually just freeze the seeds in their packages for a couple of months in my freezer. Then sow and place under my lights. I have had good results so far.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

so that means the ones that say plant in coldframe in autumn
I should be freezing!? IM so confused....lol
i know that columbine and gas plant seeds need to be prechilled! =] I thought i was a smart gardener-NOT

I use "homemade" coldframes made of cement bricks and windows. I plant the fall sown, late winter sown, those that say reseeds, self-sows, things that naturally seed and go through a winter and sprout in spring. Hardy annuals, perennials, biennials. I plant in flats and water and put in the coldframe. They sprout when nature tells them to sprout. Some sprout early and don't grow very rapidly until spring comes and it warms. Check out some of the seed germinating sites. They will tell you alot about when and what temperatures and how long till germination. I use no heat in my coldframe. Be sure that your flats are watered. They will dry out. Sometimes I leave the windows off when we get a gentle rain, but I make sure everything is drained well before I close them up again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.