4 O'Clocks

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

darius gave me some 4 'clock seeds. Do they need stratification?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Soak over night then ready to plant.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Mine have always self sowed themselves, therefore mine do get the stratification. Just a thought.

Dallas, NC(Zone 8a)

have yellow 4 0 clock send to me from holland and they reseed ther self every year. Mavis

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Mine too reseeds itself without any problem, but the other problem is they get too many around the plant in quick time.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

This was my first spring as a gardener, so I didn't know anything about stratifying or soaking or anything. I planted 3 yellow 4o'clock seeds in my garden in the early spring and all 3 came up.

Could have just been dumb luck ~ I dunno.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

They grow like weeds in my garden. One of THE easist plants to grow from seed. I remember I thought they were cute when I was little. Mine get very large - almost 4 feet tall and about that wide. I then take the hoe and chop it off and the ground. Guess what? It makes a tuber (not the correct botanical term, I know) so 2 months later, it's back to the same size. Cold weather will make it go dormant. Nice fragrence in the early evening (around 4 o'clock?!!) and I personally prefer the variegated flowers pink/yellow or pink/white.

If you don't like them, or are tired of them, you must dig out the root. I dug one up about the size of a 32oz drink cup.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh I thought 'tuber' WAS the correct term for that, Jermainiac. Would like to know if it's something else.

I really like the yellow for something different, but I do have seeds for a Tri-Color that I think we might try next year.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2003 7:10 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

Good guess I suppose. I knew it wasn't a 'bulb' or a 'corm' so I picked the next ugliest underground part... tuber.

The yellow seems to be the dominant color, crossing pink w/yellow mostly yields yellow it seems (haha 75% of the time?) I haven't done the Mendelian experiments however!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.