Lima beans

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Does anyone here grow lima beans to eat as baby green shelled beans? How hard are they to get out of the pod at that stage?

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

A lot harder than when they're dried, Mary. But not really hard, just time consuming.

We shuck fresh shelly beans of any kind while watching a video, and, pretty soon, there's a big pile of beans without the task seeming onerous.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Not hard at all to me. But like Brook says, much funner while either watching a movie or sitting on the porch gabbing w/friends (plus it's very easy to slide a bag and a bowl over to your friends so they help out!
What variety are you growing Mary?
(I do know a nice "secret" to getting them out pretty easy if you'd like to try it sometime.)
"Secret"...sumpin' most everbody knows but a few of ya's don't. Secret. S-E-C-R-E-T
(taken from MarySue DeBone's Dikshunary of True Southern Language.)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I just bought a packet of Henderson's Bush for 10 cents and thought I would give them a try next year. If it turns into a hassle I'll just let them mature and dry on the bush and harvest them as dry beans. What's your secret Shoe?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Lots of folks tend to pick the beans then plunge them in boiling water (semi-blanch?) for a few minutes. Then lay them in the sum to dry for an hr (if that long). The hulls become really easy to open, some will be partially cracked open already. Sure makes it easy!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Ah ha! Thanks. I hope I remember that when they are the right size next year. That sounds pretty easy, let the hot water and sun do most of the work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.