transplanting asparagus

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Okay I'm I in the right place?

I want to transplant my asparagus to a better location this year. Do I transplant before the shoots appear or after harvest?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I transplanted a clump of mine last fall-the roots are very deep. if your going to try it this spring -id do it as soon as possible.

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi! I've ordered asparagus "roots" to plant in March. Any growing tips you can share. I love asparagus but it's so expensive, I decided to grow some.
Grits

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mama...don't know where you are however, asparagus crowns are usually planted while dormant. I'd plant them ASAP...can you dig them up now and move them? I'm afraid if you wait till after you harvest the spears all their energy will be depleted and they will be relying on their top growth to replenish it. Dig and plant now if possible.

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Well, I can't dig them now - under snow and frozen hard. But I will dig them very early! I'm always looking for things plant or move, when it really isn't warm enough yet - now I have found something I can move without feeling nervous about a cold snap coming and taking it.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Grits this is for you. Usually asparagus comes with some instructions on how to plant. In case yours doesn't here is what to do. Dig a trench about a foot deep and a foot wide, then fill it half way up with composted manure and compost. Add a little of the soil and mix it together. Make a cone shaped mound and drape the roots of each plant over it like a fan, cover with soil leaving just the crown sticking out about 1/2 inch. Space them at about 16 inches. As the plants grow fill in the ditch with more compost and manure. You won't get much for a year or two, and if you really like asparagus a dozen plants won't do it. I have 3 times that many and still don't have enough. (and now you know why it is so expensive.) Also, I top the patch off with several inches of manure in the fall, to mulch and feed the plants for the next season. The male varieties of asparagus are the most productive, the female kinds make a lot of seeds instead of big fat stalks. When you harvest the stalks don't cut them all, leave some to feed the plant. You'll want to check your patch and harvest some about every 2-3 days. They grow up into asparagus ferns if you miss them, but then those stalks feed the plant so watch for more young ones. In your climate they will probably grow faster than in mine.

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks! DH is building a raised bed for them, so this info will be very helpful.
Grits

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.