Size of bell peppers

Lexington, NC(Zone 7a)

I ordered some special seed and didn't get to start them until May 30th. Now in a 22 inch pot, very healthy and many peppers but don't seem to be getting larger than 1 /34 inches across. Peppers in garden now only producing small ones. Is it the shorter days thats doing it? Pleanty warm, 87 degrees F.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Are they getting plenty of water? Peppers in containers tend to need more water than those grown in the garden. Also,what are you feeding the plants? If it has too much nitrogen,then you will get leaves and very little fruit.

The bells I planted this year were nursery starts and they did rather poorly.I blame it on high temps.Bells have trouble setting fruit above 90 degrees..that may be a reason for the stunted ones.

Really,I can't help much,but I can sympathise...I'm good at that.

You may try more water,plant food formulated for tomatoes and peppers(they do make one) and hopefully when the temps moderate,you'll get a second flush.If the peppers you have now don't seem to be growing,pick them off and see what happens.

Lexington, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Melody, I will give it a try. I did get enough big ones earlier in the season to blanch and freeze. Purchased a Pepper stir fry mix in the grocery store (frozen) and liked it, (just peppers and onions) have two good stir fry recipies using this mix. If interested I will post them.

Lexington, NC(Zone 7a)

I think the growing medium in the container is too rich, will cut back next time. Plant is beautiful but peppers small.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hmmmmm....mine are tiny like that too, Sparks. I just blamed it on not getting them in very early (middle of June) and our inability not to pick them! But maybe the weather did do a number on mine too. Interesting. Rose

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.