perennial sweet pea

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have experience dividing perennial sweet pea?

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I transplanted one root in the middle of summer. Strangely enough, it is still alive, though the leaves on it died, new ones are coming from the root.

I will try the other one in a little while, now that it is cooler. I have the white one, thank to reading about it in Gertrude Jeckyll's book.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

evelyn... will you save some seeds from the white one for me? I have seeds from the pink... A friend has the pink one in his garden, climbing up the pipe that carries the electric wires to the house. Hides it wonderfully! I know it can be invasive, but probably not in my yard. Thanks.

Sure! If I see it in bloom. It has been very slow to get established. It is in too shady of a spot. I will transplant the other one once it gets consistantly cooler.

These two were the results of 12 seedlings, of which two survived. I purchased the seed from Thompson and Morgan.
These (the pink ones, anyway) are weeds in our area. I am surprised they took so long, though the deer might have something to do with it. They have nibbled them to the ground several times. I think once they are established I may welcome the deer to them, we'll see....

This message was edited Tuesday, Oct 15th 12:25 AM

Marcia I tried many times unsuccessfully to dig some up for a friend. None of them lived. I am now trying to get rid of my pink sweet peas. They have become so invasive I have several perennials that did not come up this year. I filled 4 30 gallon trash cans with them. They're still coming up and blooming. They were great for about 3 years, but this year they were awful. I don't know if they spread only by seed or underground, but I'm finding them to be a nightmare. I love the flowers and the vines but I'm going to try annuals next year.

YIKES!

If any of them turn out to be pink, I think I would commit mayhem on them immediately!

I moved the other white perennial sweet pea. Actually I don't know why they call it a sweet pea, as it has no fragrance. The first one may have gone dormant, but the second one I moved has new leaves on it. I MAY regret this, but it is in an ideal spot, well-drained soil and lots of sun.

When (and if) it gets big, I will save some seeds if it is really white.
The deer may just keep it small... we'll see...

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I tried to dig up one of the mature ones to send out-I went down 18" and the roots were still the size of a pencil. Did not dig any deeper (could not and also was concerned about unerground wire) Sent out the one small self seeded one. Argh. Two large healthy plants, but take up a lot of room and are difficult to control-"seasonal bad hair days"

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Check this out to be sure but I am thinking that
the Annual Sweet Pea is the fragrant one.
Arlene

Yes, Arlene.

The perennial pea is not "sweet", though it is called so.

Darius. I think that the deer ate mine again. I will let you know if it reappears. They will eat anything, especially if it is small and tender. Even if it is poisonous.

Evelyn, I probably don't want any, after all. Thanks, though! I'm revamping what I want to do where for next year...

Even if it is a white one?? It was recommendeded to me by Gertrude Jeckyll.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I would be interested in the white seed if there is enough.
Arlene

:) Well... maybe a white one... LOL!

When and IF it reappears, AND the deer don't eat it again, and if I get some seeds, I will be happy to share them.

I wouldn't even offer the pink ones, as they are considered weeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.