good news - bad news

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Well Bobbie got a letter today from the SS and she will be getting a check on the 18th of this month for disability. The bad news is they didn't go back but from 1-1-2002 instead of 8-1-2001. Also we didn't know that a 5 month waiting period is required so she isn't getting all that she deserves but the added income will keep us going for awhile. I am so disgusted with SS and how it is run. When you are disabled why should you have to wait 5 months. Who takes care of you during this time. When we get enough members on Dave's we should start a campaign to change that.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Jim, just be glad you got it started. I'm happy that you got it.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Pebble. I am so glad.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Glad that you are getting the SS but I also know the pain of not getting all you are due. A dear friend of ours was diagnosed with terminal cancer and applied for SS benefits. With the 5 month waiting period he never received a check before his death and his family of wife and 4 children are still having a rough time catching up. Another friend was denied SSI for three years as the judge said that he could work. The only work he would have been able to do would be something that let him lie down part of the time and sit part of the time and stand part of the time and mostly groan in pain. He is still fighting for his back pay on that one and the Judge that did the origional ruling is still the Judge that is doing the fighting back. It is not fair to allow able bodied people benefits and not give it to the people who are truly in need. Sorry for the book but I feel better getting that off my chest. :>) Lani

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Yeah me to. Iguess I feel better today about it than I did when we got the letter. I was so upset I couldn't call and talk to any one. I had to cool down first.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

absolutely understandable that you were upset to say the least. It just is not fair what the criteria is. And that five month waiting period is for the birds too. How is a family to survive for five months without the wages or SSI? Even a family of one will be in trouble in that amount of time. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Lani

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Glad you are getting some help There is nothing fair about the system-just had an expierence at that first hand. Shirley

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

When I was in estate planning, the most frustrating thing to me was trying to get people to realize that this is the way things work. They would say ever so smugly, "I'll have my social security if anything happens". And try to convince a young person they won't necessarily be able to plan when they lose their earning ability. I have tried hundreds of times to persuade someone to insure their income before they bought a boat or RV or larger TV, because once they know they can count on an income of a defined amount, they can make better plans for the goodies. When your agent calls and wants to review your security package, be grateful. Work out with her a plan that guarantees you will have income in the interim, while you are sweating the decisions over which you have no control. Study with an open mind all the options, and do allow for worst case scenario, because it happens more often than you would believe. Buy all of the disability income protection you can get, first, not after you insure your house and contents and car. If your income ceases, you will lose that anyway, unless you plan well. If you lose your health, but still have income, you can find a way to get by. If you lose your ability to pay health insurance premiums, the coverage ceases. So get protection for your salary first, then look into coverage for the material things and medical needs.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Aimee, that is so true. DH was hit by a drunk driver who had nothing, no insurance or any property. We had uninsured motorist coverage, which paid for our car and the hospital, but that was all. We still had a house and car payment to make and my salary just wasn't enough. We almost lost everything. You can bet we're covered good now!!

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

it would seem tha when you put the money in while you work that you should not have to beg for it when you need it. both dh and i are disabled. they really gave him a hard time because he was 311 when he became disabled with his back. we both had to get lawyers and go to court over it. fortunately we have a lwwyer who used to work for SS. he got tiered of them giving people the run a round and went into private practice to help those who need their disability get it sooner. georgiaredclay he is in savannah and if you would like his name email me.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes, it is very hard to understand how they can say weather you can work or not. I had to fight for almost 2 years. It was very hard since I had been hurt very badly in an motorcycle accident and had been abandoned by my then husband. It does certainly help when you finally get them convinced you can't work anymore. Glad you received your help and hope you get to feeling as good as you can.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I have heard that to get permanent disability you have to be turned down 3 times, hire a lawyer and go to court! I understand there is a lot of fraud and it weighs down the system but they really need to investigate things faster and get help to those who need it befor they are on the street! I am sick and tired of seeing honest people suffering for months and years to get the help they have EARNED!

I am glad they are finally getting the payments set up for you! It is frustrating to see such mishandling of our SSI!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I got help from Gongressman Bob Barr's office or I guess we would still be waiting. A couple of years ago I had trouble getting a tax refund back and someone told me to get my congressman involved and a couple of weeks later here came the check so I thought if they can help with that they could help with this.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess I am one of the blessed ones! (and believe me, I am thankful.)

SS lost my application for about nine months. They put me throough all the testing and exams they could, but even though the SS doctor sat me down and said "They never approved anyone the first time. Just keep trying." But they DID approved me the first time.

Of course, I had already been approved for disab fromthe state ( I was a state employee), so they had all the documentation already and it was just confirmed.

Someone told me they think that the workers put applications in pile sorta like playing poker, one pile is denied, one is approved, and one is for the "needs to reapply again." The pile you end of in is just the luck of the draw.

I doubt that is actually true, but it seems pretty close to the truth.

I remember as a social worker all the needy people who kept being denied over and over.

It is all just a big money game.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.