Radicchio

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is my first year growing radicchio. Our season is pretty short, so I wasn't sure how it would do here. I was pleased to see it form small heads, and more surprised to find it was not bitter, but rather sweet. Perhaps it is our mild weather up here.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks great, Weez! I have been coveting them ever since I heard of them, which was just this year. How early did you plant them and eat it? Do they turn bitter after the hotter weather? They would look so lovely in a salad-very fancy!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I start almost everything indoors due to our short season, even lettuce. I remember starting the radicchio earlier, more likely when I started the cabbage. I'll check it out and post again here.

I really don't know why it was so mild. I tasted the outer leaves of another head yesterday, and it had the typical bitter taste. I'll check it out when I harvest the next head to see if the inner leaves are bitter or sweet. It never does really get hot here. Mid seventies is about our limit. It got up to 90 one summer day a few years ago & folks were getting weak in the knees around here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.