Seeds from glads: butterfly hybrid

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I didn't get most of my glads deadheaded until a couple of days ago and was stunned to see that a couple had set seed. Anyone have any experience growing glads from seed? Since these are a special type of hybrid, I know they will be very different from their parent, but will they be worth growing?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I gathered seed from mine last year and started them inside this spring. A few did quite well and even got blooms, but that was just a few from a number of seedlings. I figure it is worth trying even for a few

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

This is a photo of the dried stalk/seed pods and seeds.

Thumbnail by lupinelover
Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Call me a Junkie, but what if it crossed with something else in the family and you miss what could be the coolest new glad hybrid there is? ;) If you have a few extra minutes and some space, why not? I can't resist myself!

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Want a few of the new batch of seeds? I let the same type (different plant) set seed again this year; the pods appear to be ripe and ready to harvest.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I was just going to post this very same question...so I'm bumping it back to the top for someone else like me who might want to know what y'all are talking about! :-)

Jenks...I LOVE your reasoning...gotta give it a try. Sounds just like me!

Thanks for the info!

~julie~

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

One of the new seedlings from a couple years ago is way cool -- red with white picotee! Wow!!!!! The only other one that bloomed was plain red. But they are both still butterfly-type. I saved the seed from the good one this year (deadheaded it last year), and gave them to a friend to grow, and will give her some of the bulblets from the parent, too. The others didn't bloom, either didn't sprout or just dissolved into a lot of bulblets after failing to bloom. These have been rogued out.

BRW, Butterfly hybrids are much smaller and daintier than the regular glads -- fewer blooms, too, per bloom stalk. They stand up straight except in extreme weather, so don't need to stake them. They send up several bloom stalks per season, too, so a longer bloom season. Or at least they will if they are dead-headed to prevent seed-formation. They are glads that can be grown for enjoying in the garden, rather than for cutting.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Lupinelover, can you post an image for me? I grew a few regular garden glads this year but I also had some "hardy" glads. I have no idea whether or not they will actually come back next year, but they were prettiest glads I've ever seen. Lots of flowers and lots of different markings and picotees. I even saved a few seeds so I'll get the chance to see what they'll produce (if anything) next season.

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.