Beans Round Robin

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Hard to believe most of us will have bean seeds harvested and dried in a month or less. So I want to try and get a fix on who’s interested in my annual beans round robin.

This is a multi-forum, multi-mail list round robin. So, if you’re interested, please contact me directly at: brookbarb@aol.com. I’ll need to know that you want to take part, and your full name and address.

The list will be arranged geographically from south to north, and from east to west. Unfortunately, we must confine it to North American only until such time as the USDA gets its act together on the phytosanitary certificate requirement thing.

Here are the rules:

1. Any edible legumes may be entered, including garden peas, common beans, runner beans, crowders, limas, etc. Only open pollinated varieties are permitted. No hybrids!

2. With one exception, no retrades are permitted. You may submit commercial seeds, but we really prefer seed you have grown and harvested yourself, or seed collected as a family heirloom. The exception is the left over packets from last year, which I will use, along with my own submissions, to start the ball rolling.

3. You may add as many packets as you wish. For each packet you add to the box you can deduct one. You can, if you wish, add more than you take out.

4. Multiples of the same variety are allowed. Please add them as a trading size package (envelope with 25 or more seeds), rather than as a large “help-yourself” bag.

5. For each variety you add, complete a log page including the following information: Your name. Your email address. What you took out. What you put in. The history and background of the variety, if you know it. Description of the plants and beans. Any other information that will make the variety more meaningful.

Last year 15 people took part in the legumes round robin, and 67 varieties were traded. Everybody learned something. And I’m sure we all grew out new and exciting varieties.

Based on inquiries I’ve already received, this year’s round robin should be even better.

I expect to send the package out sometime in October.

Brook

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.