Cannas: New Canna Babes from a piece of broken stalk!?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I never expected it; I just hoped.

A few weeks ago I came across a 2' piece of deep red canna stalk on the ground at one of my local nurseries. They are used to my rescuing any broken bits of plants I find, and they tolerate my conviction that, if it would die otherwise, it is 'fair game.'

The stalk was so firm I was sure that it contained enough life to make another plant, and my instinct said that the leaf connection was the kind that would produce roots. So, I let the break cure/scab for a couple of days, then pealed off the remains of the bottom leaf, misted and brushed it with rooting hormone and planted it.

Two weeks passed and it was still firm. Then, very slowly, it started to darken and curl from the top, though most of the cane was still firm.

Today, I was cleaning house -- tossing out rootings that didn't take and potting those that did -- and I couldn't resist checking to see if the canna had any activity underground. I slid the block of potting mix, peat, sand and perlite out of the pot carefully, and carefully cracked it, like and egg, to have a look at the stem.

I couldn't believe it, but just below the soil level, there was an offshoot that had rhino-horned out of the stalk and was just about to break the surface!

I don't think I disturbed any roots, and I quickly closed the block and slid it back in its pot. Now I can't wait to see the foliage and the plant that this deep red stalk will produce.

Anyone else ever try starting cannas from a severed stalk? Is it a common practice, and I am the last to find out about it?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I've never tried it but my regular old red cannas produce so many tubers I've never wanted to try.This year I finally have some that are different,and its handy to know you can do that.Did it have any of the rizome left on it?I wonder how low you can cut one off and have it still grow.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

No rhizome, just stalk. In fact, it was the bloom end of the stalk.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

really,so if say a peice of my Australia,fell over in the wind,and I cut the peice off,I stick that in medium and eventually it will put out growth?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, CC, that would be fabulous wouldn't it???

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm ready to go out there and start chopping,just to try it!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I have been doing this a good while with stalks that are accidentally broken. My home is on a mountain ridge ..
so when the storms come up, I usually wind up with a few broken off stalks. Especially if a heavy flower head.

Stalk has to have at least a little of the tissue that will form roots. I root these in vermiculite in soda (or like) bottle 'greenhouses' ..so I can look through toknow what is going on, but not disturb development. Holes cut in the bottle bottom for drainage.
And the bottle set in a shallow tray of water.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Kewl........wish I had seen this last week when we had that gargantula storm!!

"eyes"

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

This would be great. I may have to just try it.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I will definitely try this next time I have broken stalk. I do have some really tiny bits of rhizomes in soil right now that are popping thru the soil. Most of them were slightly larger than a lima bean and I was sure they wouldn't take being dried for the winter.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

there is a possibilty that an eye was at the bottom of the stem

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

mark -- My post is not about the bottom of a stem. It is about the top few segments of a stalk -- the dead bloom was still attached. It's rooting and producing a new plant shows that there are root-producing cells in the stalk at the base of each leaf, as in many other plants, tropical and otherwise. It was a novel discovery for me regarding cannas.

Awali, Bahrain

Gripping stuff. I am going to try this in The Middle East.

Warwick, RI(Zone 6a)

storing cannas

Hi guys I am new to Dave's and I am new to the wonderful world of canna . I had some wonderful results this year planting them. What I would love to know is now that it's fall, do i need to take them out of the ground and how to store them for planting next spring? I live in New England , any help you can give me would be appreciated ! Thanks !

Jesup, GA(Zone 8b)

Interesting about rooting broken stems and I will probably try it just for the heck of it, but what I want to know is if anyone has had any experience in growing cannas from their seeds. I'm sure it can be done because I had a friend (now deceased) in the nursery business who hybridized and had in commerce a couple of his introductions.
I live in a warm enough environment (warmer part of zone 8)that I don't need to plant seed to get more offspring but I'd like to know how to do it. I have always cut off the stalks after they got all the bloom heads bloomed out, so I don't know if I'd recognize the proper time to pick the
seeds. Some seeds like dark; some like to be barely covered---some planted right off; some not. I wonder if they come true to the parent plant. My showy CLEOPATRA had a hard summer and bloomed late. It has not been chopped off and there are seeds on the way. CLEOPATRA has wide bright green leaves with an occasional stripe of black. Within the same head of blooms are flowers of solid bright yellow, solid bright red and some yellow ones with red spots. I'd appreciate any word on growing from canna seed.
DILLY

Barrie, Canada(Zone 5b)

Growing from stalk is a great idea. Would it work in the fall when everyone is cutting their cannas down and throwing out the stalks?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Dilly here are a couple threads about canna from seed.
http://davesgarden.com/t/387965/Canna+Seed
http://davesgarden.com/t/387965/Canna+Seed
http://davesgarden.com/t/196050/Canna+Seed

Burfordville, MO

I have a problem since moving to wooded area and trying to grow cannas. They will put on the leaf-slow, but no flowers. I'm thinking not enough sun to produce the flower. I am thinking of digging up if they don't do more than just leaf out this year. I'm not sure the name, but have red flowers. I moved them when we moved here.
Any ideas? Maybe I'll be trading later for some shade loving flowers.
Rockdigger

Gilbert, AZ

How should I cut the dead flowers off my canna. I am afraid I am cutting new ones as well.
Thanks
linda

Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Lo and Behold!

I accidently knocked my new canna in half. Remembering this thread, I immediately stuck the broken 2" tip into the ground right next to the bulb root. It looked pretty dead for a while, but IT IS GROWONG!!!

I can't wait to see if both parts bloom . . .

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Sally....did it?

And would someone please answer Starbabyy's question?

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 10:57 PM

Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

It hasn't bloomed yet, cut neither have it's siblings.

I expect in a month or two I'll know and will post photos.

Sorry, Starbaby, I can't help; wrong zone.

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

STARBABYY: Are you still here??? I sent you a D-Mail but will also enter info here. Go to Horn Canna Farm's website...

www.cannas.net

...they have excellent info on cannas...the prices are excellent also and, they have EXCELLENT customer service!!!

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.