Joe Pye Weed

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I Have a big clump of Joe Pye Weed that's been in the ground for 3 or 4 years. It's just starting to come up now. I'd like to dig up the clump and remove some of the weeds and grass that are growing in it. How big will the root system be? ...Is it forgiving? can I do this without harming it? Thanks for any advice!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Poppysue,

I have a large clump of Joe Pye Weed and last year I lifted it up to divide it and share some with friends. It does have a big root system and the clump was rather heavy, but I got it up (with help) and divided it and then set it back down and tapped it in and it was just fine. I'd get it up now before it gets too big. As long as you have it up to clear the grass and weeds out of it, you might consider dividing it too so you won't have to lift it up again for a while......that is if you want to reduce the size of the clump. I love this plant and it looks good all season.

Good luck.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I transplanted a large clump a couple of weeks ago. I noticed today it was coming up in the old spot; I found a large root I had missed sprouting again. I am going to take it to a plant Xchange tomorrow. The orginal transplant has grown from 2" to 12" in about 10 days. It is a very hardy plant.

Paul

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Could someone post a picture of what Joe Pye Weed looks like when it is first coming up?
I have huge masses of it mixed in with cat tails etc. in a bog area. (I saw it last year in bloom so I know it's there).
I would like to dig some out and move it to another location. Maybe offer some for trade as well, but there are so many weeds, grass, cat tails, etc. growing there I don't know which is which.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Tree_climber mine is just starting to come up out of the ground now. It's just little purple nubs that are breaking the soil line where the old stalks were. It doesn't even have any leaves yet.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Treeclimber, here is a pic of the Joe Pye weed I just took a few minutes ago. It's up out of the ground now. Hope this helps.

http://www.photoasa.com/disk2/1182/48525_Mvc-014s.jpeg

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Loon,
Thanks so much, that should help me find some. I appreciate the help very much. Nice Picture.
Kathy

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Travelled miles back home in England to find the Joe Pye, but it was so expensive I never did buy it. Now I'm surrounded by it here in VA. Still want it but dare not dig it up, so will wait for the seeds. I did buy the red leaved one last year and its showing good growth but no flowers as yet.

Just found out yesterday, that Joe Pye is now a threatened species... :-(

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 4th 7:16 PM

Wewahitchka, FL(Zone 8b)

Will someone tell me how to plant it? I've planted at least a pint of the seeds over the last 3 years and have yet to see a sprout. You would think with that many seeds, some would be viable. I planted the last I had in the spring, but no luck.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Cazique Joe Pye Weed needs to be stratified (pre-chilled) for several weeks. Planting them in the fall and letting them winter over outdoors would be best.

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

I'd love to try this plant if anyone has any seeds to share. Doesn't this grow best in marsh land or very wet soil? Thanks

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'll have seeds at the end of summer. It blooms late here. It likes wet soils but does well in regular garden soils too.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I went out looking for a picture of this plant in bloom and when I searched for it, a bunch of butterfly garden links were the result... seems this plant is one that butterflies love... nectar from the flowers!

Now I'd like to try some, too!

I learn so much coming here.

Thanks everyone

God bless,
Janie

Whitmore Lake, MI(Zone 6a)

paulgrow, i just subscribed and read your note about the plant Xchange in Allen Park. Can you give me more info about this? I work near to there and would like to visit sometime.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Poppysue for sharing about the Joe Pye Weed, it's going in the fridge in August, and I'll sow it out in November.
KathiLO, email me and I'll shoot you out a couple of seeds.

Jerrie

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Not only do the butterflies love this plant, but it has a wonderful aroma. Smells something like vanilla or lilacs.
I will probably have seed to share later in the summer.
I use to have masses of this plant until the builders bull-dozed a lot of it. In my case it grows in a bog along with the cattails.
Kathy

Wewahitchka, FL(Zone 8b)

Poppysue,
put me in line for some fresh joe pye weed seeds, OK?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I will have Joe Pye seeds probably late Sept or early Oct if anyone wnats them let me know near then.

Paul

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Paul is late Sept/Oct the best time to collect the seeds? Can they be collected fresh? Then what? Advice needed here please :-)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I usually wait to collect them just before they drop. They will need to be kept cold over the winter or you can plant them in late fall. Its a very hardy plant.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.