saddleback cats

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

DD and I just got stung. She by walking by it, me by looking for it. Well, we found close to 20 on my two bananas. What would they have grown into?? I wanted to take them away and let them 'grow up' but DH was worried about them trying to get back to where they were and getting stepped on by one of the kids (and he was right, can't take that chance) anyway, I've looked everywhere and can't find out what they become.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Do they become anything. I thought they just were.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep...they turn into some type of moth, with nearly the same markings on their wings as the caterpillars have on their backs. I, too, got stung by one year b4 last and remember we looked for more info on it. Haven't taken the time to see if I've saved it somewhere...but it's happily raining here today so maybe this afternoon I'll do some perusing.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Here's what it turns into. http://www.odolep.com/4700Saddle.jpg

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks Cala, a rather boring moth for such an interesting but 'lethal' cat!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

TiG, I reached in to pull some weeds and got one between the fingers. Not once, but twice(I thought it was a briar and was determined to pull it out). Vinegar works to take the sting out. Mom said when I was a baby and she took me to the tobacco patch to work she sat me under a peach tree on a blanket and the saddlebacks got all over me. Glad I can't remember.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh my gosh!!! I was so glad it wasn't one of the babies, cause there was no consoling me! I check each banana leaf every day now!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Vinegar? I better put that in my med cabinet down here at the shoffice! I've used plaintain for bites, itches, and the like (even onion!). Glad to know what helps! Much obliged, Cala!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.