recovering from knee surgery

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I am so very glad to meet you nicksgrammy, Get some good tasting TV dinners and some nice canned foods and snacks and have them handy where a person with crutches can get at them and a taller stool in the kitchen to sit on and a high potty chair, shower chair or bath chair, a bag of some sort to attach to your crutches or walker to carry things like a drink, the phone, a magazine etc. and you should be fine. After the first week or two you will be glad you had the surgery also. It is that first few days that are not fun but you figure how much fun the pain is now and there is no contest. The most important thing is is DO YOUR THERAPY even when it hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as hairloom apple trees go, I will try to find a Mother Earth news that had an article and I will try to remember that it was you asking. Remind me in a few days. I am all over in the posts. Talkative me. LOL
Good luck on your surgery and welcome to BIONIC WOMANHOOD!!!!!!! Lani

How are you doing with your therapy now you guys? I have been thinking of you as I am about ready to go in for my one year checkup. It has been a long year in some ways but it has also sped by too. LOL Therapy made it looooonnnnnnggggggg sometimes. Those physical terrorists can be really tough on you. I am glad to be over that and doing it on my own now.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

My Christmas was real quiet, just my husband and me. I walk slow, probably drives other people crazy! I don't have much pain, more than what Tylenol can handle. I had the surgery in July (total knee replacement on Left knee) there are times when I am frustrated, I have to admit that, for I have trouble getting up from a chair when I have been there
for a while. And I still have to use my cane. It is a long process.
Melva

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

hi melva, i had total knee replacement on my left knee this past november. when i awoke from surgery i swore that i had made a dreadful mistake but i was wrong. i had physical therapy at home and am now going for pt at a local health club. i go out in my yard using a walker. i just take it slow. i am startng master gardening classes january 13 and have gotten a wheelchair just in case. i exercise a little every day and it definitely helps. i am dying to get on a bicycle but my therapist says my leg doesn't bend enough yet. if you still are nervous about going in your yard use a walker instead of a cane and get some velcro straps to attach a bicycle basket to the front of the walker. its great for carrying stuff (including a cell or cordless phone to call someone in case you do take a little tumble).
doris, i had my surgery at good shepherd hospital in barrington. lani and everyone, thanks for the encouragement. melva, keep on keeping on (as aretha franklin would say).

I am so very glad that I had my surgery. I was in terrible pain for years with my left knee and for the last few months with my right. I had BOTH knees done at the same time so I could get on with life. I did wonder a LOT at first if I had made the right decision and now have decided that I did make the right one. As far as my walker was concerned, I made a long bag that tied onto the walker and it has 3 pockets in the front that will hold my cordless phone, pencils and pens and paper and a small tablet for taking notes to myself because I found that my brain wasn't working as well as before my surgery. And another pocket in front held all the therapy bands that I used for stretching my muscles (and a cup of coffee or tea will fit on top of these bands and it is held securely due to the sizeing of the pocket). The large main pocket has velcro the whole length of it so I could carry magazines or my little dog if I needed to or even sandwiches in it. That made life so much easier when I was in the walker. In fact when I graduated to a cane, I was missing my walker bag. Now I don't use any aids but I do have some pain on getting up from sitting for a long time. Not too bad though and I wouldn't trade this pain for the knee pain of the past for anything!
I was riding a stationary bicycle by about the third month of therapy. I did work a LOT on my own on trying to stretch my knees and bend them too and now have flat stretch and 108 degrees (or so)of bend in both.
I celebrate my first anniversary of my surgery the 16th of January 2003.
Keep on doing your therapy and it does get better with time. Good luck and keep in touch. Lani

I forgot to mention above that I am now able to ride my horse for about a half hour at a time. This is going to strenthen my legs for sure! Lani

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your suggestions, Ladies. I am able to go outside without a problem...I went to a concert in November that was in a arena type thing. The seats were waay at the top, there was only one row, higher, than we were. I made it up there. I am sure it was not pretty, I grabbed the handrails, the seats, I didn't grab people along the way, although it did occur to me to do so. Once I made it to our seats, I didn't leave for fear I wouldn't be able to get up there again. At the end of the concert, when we made it down to the floor, my legs were shaking, the muscles were so fatiqued. Funny, the non-operative leg was more sore than the other one. I have been exercising the knee replacement leg. So now when I say I can't do something...my husband tells me, if I could do the concert, I can do anything. He doesn't seem to understand that seeing the Rolling Stones, was quite an incentive.
I miss the basket on the walker, too. But I hated the walker so much...I am okay with the cane.
I have a recumbant bike I am able to ride for a short time. And I do leg exercises in the water, we have a jacuzzi tub.
Lani, I am so glad to hear you can ride your horse! I plan to get one, and I would hate to just have to look at it. How do you get on? Do you use a mounting block?
Melva

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Melva, I know what you mean about the concert, my DD just had to go. Her husband went along, but couldn't seem to really grasp the significance of the event. He was more concerned with who among their friends was going. Like you, DD would have gone to any lengths to see them as they made this historic swing through Texas. Unlike you, she had only to make her way to a comfy indoor seat on the 7th row, but I bet she would have been right there with you if necessary. Congratulations on knowing what is important in this life, and on having the determination to triumph over those balky body parts.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

It's only been 6 months for you, so it will be a while yet. I had 4 full months of therapy, and one of the things they taught me was how to get up off the floor if I should fall. Actually, one day outside When I felt myself falling, I did manage to twist enough so I didn't land on the knee! Soon yours will feel like a normal knee again, but one thing I haven't done yet is to try and kneel on it!!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

The concert was inside, it was in San Antonio at the new SBC Center. But the seat was far from being comfortable. Whenever anyone had to get up, everyone in the row had to get up, to let them out. The next day I was very bruised from the constant pressure of the arm rest, up and down....But it was worth it! The energy of those guys was unreal! When the concert ended, I turned to my husband and said,'I don't know about them, but I am exhausted!'
I think we went through Georgetown, maybe we saw you on the highway?
Melva

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

You were at the same one as my DD! Yes, you would have passed through Georgetown, just north of Austin on IH 35. I don't remember if I was in San Antonio or at home, but I live less than a mile off of IH 35. Small world, but we are like ships that pass in the night. It would be interesting to know how often members are within yards of each other and never know it.

I have been kneeling on my knees lately. Funny how one night I just caught myself kneeling on the couch watching my little dog through the window and suddenly I realized that it felt different. Not painful just different. Then I realized that I was on my knees!
Yes I use a mounting block or the bumper of my truck to mount her with. I am hoping that by spring I will be strong enough to make it without that help. But for now it just feels great to be riding again. Even if only for a short time. Also my horse is one of those one-in-a-million horses that is so broke that she is bomb proof! I bought her sight-unseen from a friend of my best friend and I sure got a wonderful horse. I knew I needed a safe one and God provided.
I am sure glad that you made it that far at the concert, Melva. It is good to know that you CAN do it if you WANT to do it isn't it?
Keep up the great therapy ladies. Good luck! Lani

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Lani,
I am hoping to be able to find such a horse for me. One that will allow me to use whatever to get on...
I haven't ridden in more than 20 years, but I would sure like to.
Melva

Good luck I know there is one out there for you. Just look at the older ones. Nothing under 10 years would be my suggestion IMHO Mine is 17.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

You know, I have been looking for an older horse. Oddly enough the older ones are more costly. I guess because they have had more training.
I think I will find one, I am motivated!
Melva

Yes they have had more training and are somewhat more expensive than one that would hurt you. Sometimes it is not worth getting something that is cheaper just because it might get you back in the hospital. Pay the money for a good one and be sure to have it vet checked before you pay for it as the vet will be able to tell if it will be lame. The vet checks here are not too much money but are worth every penny. Good luck

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

When I was a kid, my family raised Quarter Horses. I learned to ride when I was five years old, and how to fall, too. I had a friend when I lived in CA who had horses and she let me ride whenever I wanted to, payment was cleaning corrals..But that was years ago.
When I moved to Texas, I owned a horse, but never rode, as my father told me I was too fat (his words) the horse was sold as I didn't use him, he was a gorgeous thing! A bright as a penney, buckskin. I sure would like to find him! He used to live near me in a pasture, I don't think he is still there. I have seen a horse on the way to other place, he is a Blue Roan. We stopped one day to visit him, and when my husband took a picture, and told me to smile...the horse smiled too! It is a wonderful picture!! I asked Phil if he would buy the horse for me, and he said,'I think that horse would cost more than me!' He did have the mark of a good horse, he is a Quarter Horse, as a lot of them are, around here.
We are still in the process of making a place for a horse. We have a well, so we have water, now we have to check the fence, and make a shelter in the pasture. We are almost ready...and I want to lose some weight(when do I not?)
I have a friend, who is a Vet. he has told me, he would do a check for me. What kind of horse is the one you have? And what color? I have a great book, the title is: "A Good Horse, Is Never a Bad Color" Thanks for your advice.

It is so nice that you do know horses even though it has been years. It really is like riding a bicycle as you never forget how to ride once you know how. Sounds like you are lining up your ducks so they are all in a row. My husbands horse has eaten the shelter we built for them so we will have to sell her and build another shelter for mine this summer. He won't ride anyway so she needs to go.
Both our horses are arabians. They are less expensive up here and I lucked out and got two very nice ones. His is a gray and mine is a beautiful bay with a faint star and a hind white sock. His horse is an unknown age but she is broke enough for children to ride with only a halter and leadrope. So she should sell sell this March. Mine is no longer for sale. giggle. She was for sale until I rode her. She has a huge stride in her walk and she is easy to catch, no bad habits and sweet too. I really got a one in a million with her! I was really worried last night because she was off her feed but this morning she seemed ok and was ravinous.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Glad that your mare is okay. I know it must be scary when you think there could be something wrong. You know, the expression, 'As healthy as a horse' that is actually a misnomer, for horses can have a number of things go wrong...I am hoping that riding is similar to riding a bike, that even after years, the ability to do it, is still there. I know I still retain the ability to fall, so hopefully the other is intact, too.
Do you have any pictures of your mare? What is her name?
I am so glad to hear that you can ride...I always got the feeling that I could solve all my problems, if I could ride, just a little bit longer.
Melva

It is a funny way that these threads go amuck. LOL I like it though. Maybe we will give others hope that they too can do anything after knee surgery.
It is true that riding is similar to riding a bike. I never learned to fall properly so I have had many bumps and bruises that could have been avoided if I had been taught when I was young.
I don't have any pictures of her that I can put on the net. I will see if I can get some when my son comes to visit but as you know they never look as nice during the winter as in the summer. Today my activity with her was to brush her. She loved that and followed me around for a long time afterward as I was picking up junk in her pasture. We live along a relatively major county road and the fools that drive by think this is the place to deposit their garbage out of their vehicles. Grrrrrrr
I go on the 23rd for my one year checkup. I sure hope I get a great report card. LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

So, ladies - how are your knees all doing? I'm just catching up on the threads in the forum and was wondering about y'all. :)

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I am okay, I am still not able to kneel, or let me put it this way, I haven't tried yet. I can work outside fairly easy, I get tired pretty fast. Went to the Dr. in January, and he doesn't want to see me again, until July.
Thanks for asking.

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, look at those twinkling eyes, will ya? Nice to see ya! I bet it is hard to take the plunge and try things you've not done since surgery. Work back into things at your body's own pace - and give yourself grace! :)

Thanks for asking Kim.

I went to the Doc for my one year check-up in January and he said that I am ahead of the average double knee people that he has done. Far ahead. That was a good feeling! I am able to kneel as long as I have a soft something to kneel on and it is comical to watch me try to get up but part of that problem lies in my back problems. I can walk without a limp and am now walking about a mile and a half a day, 5 days a week. I am doing the house keeping and cooking for my 90 year old Mother as well as our own home too. I am also doing the farm chores when my hubby can't ( consists of taking care of 25 head of sheep and goats, one steer, two horses, three dogs, and two cats plus the pigeons). Am also doing all the shopping for the four of us since my hubby won't and my Mother can't. LOL If my doggone back would quit siezing up my me I would be able to get more done (but my back is another story).

I am looking forward to this year of gardening as I have not felt this good in YEARS. It will actually be a new experience for me to work in the garden without having to plan my steps ahead because of knee pain or hyperextension worries.

All in all I would do it again in a heartbeat since the pain is SO much less than before the surgery and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now in pain and therapy. I went into this surgery realizing that the knees would NEVER be the same as the ones I was born with but it gives me great pleasure to be able to cross my ankles and sit in a chair and go to bed without pain.

I never realized that it isn't a normal thing for people to hyperextend their knees when walking over uneven ground. I have had a hard time learning to relax when I walk because I have had to be tense-muscled for all my life or hyperextend. (sigh)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What a godsend these surgeries are. Glad to hear you're ahead of the game, Lani. Howie and I can relate to the back pain. It must be such an encouragement to you to have your knees feeling good again, though - that's what you've got to look at. And I bet you do! :)

I do look at that and am looking into going to a rheumatologist in the near future. There are only about three in this whole area for almost three quarters of a million people so it will take a while to get in there.

But as I said before it is so very nice to sit without knee pain. :~)

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

hi all, just catching up on this forum. my new knee is about 2 &
1/2 months old now. i stil go to physical therapy 2 times a week and have an additional 8 sessions to endure. i'm on an elliptical type machine now which is sort of like riding a bike standing up. my leg bends to about 96 - 99 degrees which the doctor said is better than average(average being around 90 degrees) i have to have the other knee done but i'm not doing it until i go on vacation this summer-----fishing in canada! when we get back i will be setting up my hobby greenhouse. i have to set it up so as to make it easy for my 13 year old grandson to take care of for a while. i am definitely looking forward to warmer weather. i think that having all this metal (titanium) in my knee makes me feel the cold more. well, i have to get back to my garden catalogs now. hehehe. good luck and good health to all.

Nice to hear from you, nicksgrammy. I know what you mean by having to endure that physical therapy as it truly was a test of my endurance. I think that was the worst part of having the surgery done but it was worth it! I can bend my knees to over 105 degrees and physical therapy was the only way I got that accomplished! I sure wish I could accompany you on your trip to Canada this summer! That sounds like FUN.
Good luck in getting your greenhouse set up.
I agree that having all the titanium makes you feel colder than before but I have just had to adjust to wearing more layers.
Take care of yourself,
Lani

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

hey lani, i think that this year i will give some serious effort to setting up some raised beds since everyone i've spoken to says they are so much easier to garden in if you have knee/back/hip problems. i haven't decided what materials to use yet. i'm thinking about maybe using those cement blocks they use to make walls and chimneys. i don't want to invest too much money as we are renters and there is always the possibility of moving someday. i would hate to have to say goodbye to my raised beds because they would be too cumbersome to move. having a little greenhouse should make gardening a little easier, also. i'm dying to get out there and get my hands dirty!!

I have one raised bed made of the concrete blocks now. I like it and will use it for the first time this year. We got the blocks free for taking down an old barn for some folks. We also got a lot of free wood from that same job. It took the two of us one weekend and we have enough blocks to make three raised beds all together and enough wood to build a small barn of our own.

I know how it is to not want to leave behind things that you have put in because until we bought this place three years ago we rented. So----my suggestion to you would be to make raised beds of just dirt. I have several of these here and that rise of a foot or so really helps. I keep all weeds and grass away from the edges of the raised bed with compost or bark in about 6 inches and the flowers and vegies go in the middle. Don't make the raised bed any more than four feet wide unless you have a long reach and you should be able to garden fine in it. All my flower beds are becoming raised beds over the years as we gather topsoil for them.

Good luck.

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

thanks, lani. you've convinced me that no matter how i do it i should build some raised beds.

Good for you nicksgrammy! I am sure that you will like your raised beds as much as we do. Even my DH likes them and he doesn't have the problems that I have. He says that they are really nice to pull the weeds in because the soil doesn't become compacted.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Maybe you could create a box out of four lengths of 1x12' boards, leaving the bottom open. It won't be permanent, but it will effectively raise the bed for you and provide good drainage.

Kim, that is what my garden beds are mainly without the boards since I wanted my raised beds to look as though they were planned flower beds. I tapered the dirt to the outside for about a foot and a half and leave that area as a weed and grass control area and a place for me to walk. I have had lots of complements on my flower beds and most people don't realize that they are raised beds.

I even had one person say that she hated raised beds but she loved my "berms" LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Good idea - how do you control run-off from watering? Do you have a trench in the middle of the bed's top? I had to put a watering trench in my tomato/pepper bed because it was on a slope.

I water with a product called T-tape. It is a wonderful drip irrigation system. Very easy to put in and use. Somewhat like a hose with holes in it but the holes are very evenly spaced.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.