Coleus Topiary

Hamilton, Canada

This is an interesting approach for coleus in the garden.

Thumbnail by joydie1
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I'm going to try that. That particular variety looks like Kiwi Fern.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

that looks great...is it hard to do?

Hamilton, Canada

Cala it looks neat doesn't it. I have a couple of very large coleus plants that I think I will try this with. I also love the planter.

CC,
I think its just like creating any other topiary. Remove the bottom stems to encourage top growth. Keep pinching back bud tips on the top to make the top fuller.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

And stake them as you train them..we do this with a few kinds at work..they get about 6 feet when finished.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I was gunna try this with a fuschia,maybe a coleus too.....

Hamilton, Canada

Six feet, oh my lawdie. I have to get busy and make more topiaries. CC the fushia sounds like a good idea too. I looked at those fushia pictures in Priesell's book with the brugs and had no idea they grew that big. This year I'm over wintering mine...the heck with buying them every year!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Thats what I'm doin!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Purple Ducksfoot makes a gorgeous topiary. I think the 'fernlike' or ducksfoot coleus all look good in topiary.

A lot of the big coleus I've bought recently have been 'topiaried' by circustance -- they had heavy lower branches that were broken off in the bustle and in-and-out-of-the-greehouse hauling of normal nursery business. The thick foiage of the lower branches had kept lateral branch growth on the main vertical stalk to a minimum, and the result was a tall stem with a big bush at the top.

That's how my Raspberry Ruffles, my Cameroon (swoon!) and my first Aurora were.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh, and Eclipse ... a six-foot coleus?? What variety?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.