Sun Coleus Sparkler

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

this is Coleus "Glory" on the left...and "Black Knight" on the right..they both accent each other real well.Sorry had the names mixed..earlier...Like that ever happens!!!!LOL LOL

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 22nd 10:14 AM

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 22nd 10:14 AM

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Hamilton, Canada

Just gorgeous Kyle, keep the pictures coming so I can find names for some of my coleus.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

is Black Knight a sun coleus?? I have to have that one

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

It is a nice picture and a lovely juxtaposition of colors, but I know a different coleus with the name "Sparkler," and I'm not familiar with one called "Black Knight."

Here's a picture of Sparkler from Variations Greenhouse: http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/images/coleus/Sparkler.jpg
[Variations Greenhouse's coleus catalog is at http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/coleus_catalog.htm ]

I think what you have there is "Glory." If you have a look at Singing Springs Nursery's coleus page, it shows both Glory and Sparkler: http://www.singingspringsnursery.com/page2.html#439

There is a coleus called "Black Night," but it is very different from the one in the picture: http://207.89.182.149/images3/x-blnite.jpg [... sorry that the link is from the infamous Glasshouse Works, but I don't know who else carries Black Night.]

I'm not sure what the dark coleus is, but my closest guess would be a Purple Emperor (http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/images/coleus/PurpleEmperor.jpg ) that has had a lot of sun, or whose picture was taken on a low exposure.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the variety of coleus that you have posted in this forum. I've become enthusiastic about coleus this year and have collected around 25 named ones (along with many other no-names), and I keep coming home with more whenever I can find a new one that I like at the local nurseries.

I'm not much for mail-ordering; I've heard too many grim stories about fried coleus or barely rooted microscopic plants that have been sent months after significant sums have been laid out for them. Meanwhile, the local nurseries sell big healthy plants for $2. One (well-loved) nursery is just going out of business, and I was able to load up on Tilt-a-Whirl (one of my favorites) and a couple of others for 49 cents a piece.

I've been hoping to find other coleus lovers to trade with to help expand each others' collections. Would you be interested? ( ... or another reader?)

I've just joined this site, so I don't have much information posted yet, but I'd be glad to send a list of my coleus if you (or another coleus collector) would like to email me. Or you could have a look at a post I made in the plant trading forum on the "other" gardening website.

Lately, I've been peppering coleus all around the property, especially for contrast with the Taros/Elephant Ears (the black ones in particular) that I also collect, and with the Snowball marigolds that have put on a phenomenal show this year -- two-foot-tall dark green bushes with carnation-sized white flowers. So, I've been fairly dilligent about rooting my coleus -- I probably have rooted starts of about half of them now, and could root others in 10 days or trade unrooted cuttings.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Eclipse, we had a speaker at a TFGA meeting that had slides of coleus. Some varieties have several names, and sometimes nurseries just 'stick' a name on one, not paying attention if something already had that name. This speaker hybridizes coleus for Flower Fields.

Hamilton, Canada

PlanterRik,
Nice to see you here at Dave's. I didn't realize you were new to Dave's so welcome aboard. Thanks for posting the link to the coleus as now I can identify some of my varieties I didn't have names for. I better get busy and make name tags for those I have names for now.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Rik..you are right on the yellow plant it is "Glory" we had the tags mixed up at work......sorry guys..the black plant was from Botanica in KS and was labeled Black Knight..but nowadays that doesn't mean much..thanks for the correction. :-)

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Anytime, Eclipse. You've done a great job keeping up the discussion of coleus and bringing their diverse beauty to readers of this forum.

I noticed primarily because Sparkler is one that I've lusted after for a while, and I am also a fan of black (or dark purple or dark burgundy) coleus, and had never heard of Black Knight. When I checked, the only references I could find were to the Black Knight canna. Purple Emperor looks so much like the picture .... Can you point me to an internet reference to the Black Knight coleus? Are there major coleus growers/hybridizers/distributors that are not on the internet? If you know of any, could you tell me how to get in touch with them? There are several coleus I am looking for that aren't offered on the major sites.

Joydie -- Thanks for the kind welcome!

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 22nd 4:49 PM

Hamilton, Canada

Rik,
I found this U.K. site with many heirloom and very new varieties.
http://www.oaklandnurseries.co.uk/plantlists/coleus_list.htm

U.S. site which has Black Magic that looks like Kyles although Kyles pic is a little dark and there is another sport developing in the centre.
http://www.crownsvillenursery.com/coleusgallery.htm

Rik have a look under co ops and you will see that people are swapping coleus plants...hope this helps you out somewhat. TiG posted the coleus swap.
This message was edited Thursday, Aug 22nd 5:27 PM

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 22nd 5:34 PM

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 22nd 5:35 PM

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Rik, I use Singing Springs Nursery and Glasshouse works in Ohio.Will see if I can find the name online again.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Singing Springs isnt' shipping until May (i think, it's on their site)

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Welcome, Planter Rik!

Welcome Rik,
I see we are almost neighbors. Into Brugmansias yet?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Joydie -- thanks for the UK site -- reminds me of the coleus I grew up with. Super resource for identifying older varieties.

About Black Magic -- without looking it up, I'm pretty sure that it has a thin lime-green edge to the leaf, which E's doesn't have. It is a gorgeous coleus, though. I have a giant Rainbow that is impersonating it in my vegetable garden right now (no place is safe from my penchant for spreading flowers and colorful foliage!).

Thanks you all for the warm welcome! I appreciate it all the more because it was unexpected. I've been on so many more impersonal sites ....

Glory -- We used to own some swamp near Biloxi. I mainly remember the beautiful houses along the coast. Since we're neighbors, you let me know when you're dropping by and we'll have a real flower fest -- Everything I have that you don't have for everything you have that I don't have -- OK?

I just mercilessly pruned back all the gardens and flower boxes for the second time this summer (it's the only thing to do when they are reaching critical mass); so give them a couple of weeks to pretty themselves back up first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.