red hardy hibiscus

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

This comes back every year,But only one tall stalk,I can't seem to root it and never get any seeds.Its not fair!

Does anyone know what variety it is?

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

Don't know variety, but go out and hand pollinate with a tiny paint brush. I cut off the top of one of mine and it rooted in a couple weeks. Very pretty.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Can I polinate it to another flower on this plant or do I need a different plant?I have a pink but its a different leaf and bloom

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

CC, it looks like Lord Baltimore from the color and the foliage. Mine won't set seeds either, but they do root fairly easily.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh Goody!I think I have a rooted cutting of it I got in trade!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

If you were to cut back the one tall stalk, it should get bushier, although flowering will be delayed somewhat. It is supposed to be easy to root from cuttings. You can pollinate to itself or cross to the pink one and see what wonderful variations you'll get. These will bloom first year from seed!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I did cut the top off earlier in the year to try rooting,and since most of you know I am rooting challenged,well...you can guess what happened with that.

There is a branch halfway up,but I thought it would get shoots coming out from the bottom like my pink ones gets

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Crestedchic, I have had exactly the same luck with mine and it is just like yours. I have had one stalk for 6 years now and it never sets seeds. I am glad to know the secrets of this mysterious plant. Thanks everyone. I will try to root it right away. Wish me luck. It is a good time for rooting most plants so maybe I will do ok with it.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Beautiful flower! I've noticed a lot of hibiscus growing outdoors around here this year, but I didn't realize that it would grow in zone 5 and come back again each year. What is the best way to start with this; seed, nursery plant? I don't know how successful I would be though. I tried twice to grow hibiscus indoors after buying a nice-sized healthy plant. Each time I killed it though, by overwatering I think. Are they sensitive, or is it me?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

there are hardy hibiscus and tropical.This one is a hardy.Some one will have seeds soon,I started some from seed this spring...but killed them later

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

How do you root hibiscus?

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Well first you gotta' buy waxed paper, ask CC.

I have hibiscus in my back yard where it gets less sun and it's tall on one stalk. In the front yard where there's more sun they're more like a bush and not as tall. I wonder if it's the sun or the variety of hibiscus.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

This is in full sun ALL day,I have a pink thats about 20 feet away that is like a bush(different leaves,so must be different variety)

And YES,you need wax paper to root Hibiscus! LOL

And I had to go AAALLLL the way to the store to buy some...

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Bless your heart, sorry to be so much trouble. I keep cutting mine(top)every spring to start for traders, this tends to make it more bushy! Real pretty this year, only about 3' tall, very bushy, loaded with blooms.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

You were not the trouble,its me ,and not keeping my kitchen properly stocked!

Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

What do you do with the wax paper? I would like to try to root a couple of cuttings from my Mom's plant.(I think)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Next year I'm lopping mine off!

Green_leaf ,I'll search for the link where the rooting was explained to me

Heres a link http://davesgarden.com/s/213695.html

This message was edited Friday, Aug 23rd 11:31 PM

Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks. Sounds pretty easy to do. Think I will give it a try. :-)

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Getting almost too late this year for cuttings, but in spring when they show through the ground 8", cut, put in jar of water, waxed paper over top, rubberband. Takes couple weeks, under florescent lights to form roots.

Olympia, WA

I enjoyed this "old" thread ....... I just got 4 HUGE clumps of roots and stalks (cut back) when our Master Gardener demonstration garden was removing Lord Baltimore PERMANENTLY!!! I thought they deserved to be adopted, but had NO idea what to expect!!! This helps!!!! Are the deer going to be heavy browsers on these (presuming they will be happy w/ the adoption)?

Thanks for any help!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

We have a lot of deer out here and I've seen tracks a couple of times in the garden area this summer, but they didn't seem to touch anything. Maybe my yard had enough good eating in it as it was full of clover this year. I love this hibiscus. Mine is a little more bushy than it has been and maybe that is because the wind has broken it off a couple of times.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Brugie, the deer in my yard only eat the green beans soon as they form, and the peas soon as they get big enough to pick. We don't have vegetables anymore, but I think the deer waited in the woods for my beans and peas to form so they could eat them all up.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Roz, that would really upset me. I love my fresh veggies. Have been afraid they would find the flowers tasty too, but so far so good.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I couldn't figure out if it was my creatures or the wild ones eating mine,finally one nite Chuck called me to the door and shined the flashlight on the garden...
There were 2 deer looking at us with big mouthfuls of my green bean plants.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.