First bloom on MG "Tree".

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This isn't a good picture of the bloom or the size of the tree. It is over 5 ft. tall now and just getting ready to burst with bloom. It does take those blooms a long time to form.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Brugie,
I had never heard of a MG tree before. The blooms are worth the wait, very pretty.Where did you find it?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Green_Leaf, I don't know that it is a tree, but it has a tree type growth. Main stalk over 5 ft. now and just side branches, so I call it my MG tree. Someone sent me the seed last year, might have been Kay Jones. Can't remember for sure. I sure hope it puts out some seed or I'm going to have to figure out how to get a cutting rooted. It is way too big to dig up and keep in the house.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Hoe big is it brugie? Would this be it? Ipomoea fistulosa http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/00promotions/morningglory/morningglory.html

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Sue, that is it. Now I remember the name of it. Think I even visited this site when I got the seeds. Really cool plant. I walked out there a while ago and I'd say it is near six foot now. Definitely now a bushy habit though. Maybe those planted in that picture were planted close together. The leaves on this thing are huge too. Thanks.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

poppysue, i believe it is ipomea fistulosa carnea.... i spend hours trying to id it last summer, that looks like it to me. it roots really easy once the stems get a little woody.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

So Arlene, is that a different growth habit on the one you mention? Tree rather than bush maybe?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I had this one confused with ipomoea leptophylla - which is also called the morning glory bush or "Man" root. I had started seeds of leptophylla but I was too chicken to plant it in the ground when I read the root gets as big as a man. The leaves on that one are thin.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Sue, I just did a Google search on the name that Arlene provided. It seems to come up with bush in the description. I don't really care, I just like it. I'm also wondering if I might have got the seeds from Sprouts last year. I should have written it down, but being of unsound mind and body, I didn't do it. :-)

Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

Has anyone ordered seeds from that site, Poppysue? I would like to, but not sure if I should

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

we call it morning glory bush, ms brugie. there is supposedly a morning glory tree with a differnt description, i haven't seen it. never seen it set seeds, neither has my market friend. i did get some seeds from a sweet lady in texas, they were furry!!!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'll try to get a picture of the whole thing and you will see why I call it a tree.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Shirley, I was wondering if you have to move your
morning glory bush into a greenhouse during the winter. I am in zone 9 and I am wondering how to overwinter mine.

Patricia

Brugie, that's gorgeous. If you get seeds and have a couple extra, I would love a few.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

Patricia, mine froze back in 8B. is perennial, but i lost bloom time.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Green_leaf - I'd e-mail the people first to see if they have seeds available. That web page is a couple years old.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Patricia, this is my first year for this plant. If it puts out some seeds, of course I'll save as many as I can. I don't have plans for keeping it, but have a good friend who wants to dig it up.

Jeanne, if I get seeds, you know you will get some.

Arlene, I just plain forgot to take a picture of the whole plant. Will run outside now and get one if I can. It is kinda dark.

Brugie, thanks for thinking of me.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love it brugie.......... think of me also............. I just need one that will grow.....LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Shirley, That would be great!!

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Brugle,

Take cuttings, they root fast with Root-Tone. I have passed along many from cuttings.

Honeybee

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Honeybee, what do I cut? There is one main stalk with leaves coming from it and from the leaf axis comes another shoot with the blooms on it. No side shoots at this point. I'll look closer at it tomorrow, but I don't think there is anyplace I can cut. Have promised the plant to someone and I don't want to whack it up.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

tooooooooooo lateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee brugie, all of Daves wants this one!!! LOL

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll have cuttings in the fall too, have to bring it in, so I'm just gonna whack it up. Dee rooted them in water, she brought a big bucket to the FL swap and mine did wonderfully!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Shirley, I sent them to you. I have more seeds.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Seeds?????????? :D

"eyes"

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes, seeds, I promised Larry the whole plant or that would be for trade!

Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

I want seeds too............. If you have enough. :-)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gloria, I remember you sending me plants, but am glad you reminded me that you sent seeds. The plants got spider mites and eventually I had to give up on them. If I don't get seeds from this one, I may have to call on you again. Much easier to grow from seed than to keep the plants over.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

HA! Why do you think I am giving mine away?? That is what really started the spidermites(webs)inside last winter. They LOVE it.

BTW, mine is more pink.

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 21st 6:37 PM

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Mine is a "tree" about 7ft tall now. They have never made seed for me or my mother or aunt. All we do is cut the stalks in sections and put them in a bucket of water during the winter, and change it every so often. When it gets warm enough outside just plant (some of us earlier than others) tongue in cheek. This is a bright lavender, I got one from Cala that is real pale kinda pink.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Brugie, that is the color of my plant too. I plan to cut it back and will have plenty of cuttings.
Hibiscus, I would like to have a pink cutting or seed if you get any. LMK what you would like in trade.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Busybee,

I have a bunch of little side shoots, will see what I can do....

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you very much. Let me know and I will send whatever you want.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

it makes great cuttings and they root very easy
old wood
there is a white one also that i
have been trying to find.
"higher ground" is the site i saw it on
but all email is returned ( i had two different email address on it)
help me find it you guys from texas
thanks
Larry

Larry,
Seedman.com sells the white seeds....Seedman is only 30 miles up the road from me but they won't let you go and pick up your seeds...guess they want that postage.

Here is the name of the seeds.
MORNING GLORY TREE. IPOMOEA ARBORESCENS

http://www.seedman.com/rain.html

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Glory,

They are also advertizing instant smoke, for germination. I have kangaroo paw seed, need instsnt smoke to germinate. DH got some ashes from burned trees, ddn't work!

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

I. arborescens = a real tree glory
I. fistulosa = I. carnea = bush glory
I. leptophylla = has a hug tuber and a runner/twiner
root can be many feet long calle "Man root"

once the yahoo group gets set up and going
all the confusion will not be so bad lol
Larry

thanks for any suggestions / hints / ideas / etc.

does any one know of a soul that has a real tree glory?

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Larry, tell you what, when I cut mine back, I will send you a piece and you can grow and let us know. I just know that mine is now about 7 ft tall. I think that is more of a tree than a bush, but have been unable to get it named for sure. Saw it in a nursery last year and they were selling it as a tree and it looks just like mine, but that doesn't mean anything.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

Deeinfl

thanks that would be great (where did you get it from?)
i have some I. fistulose seedlings (this year) that are 4 ft. tall
but there are some blooms more pink than purple
I want to get several different sources of them
so that fits right in with my plans
still on the hunt for that white !

I enjoy hunting down a plant and/or the right name
lol keeps me out of trouble :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.