Wal-O-Water

Chamois, MO(Zone 5a)

Has anyone tried these and if so do they really work? Thank you

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I have several friends who swear by them. I've never used them myself, though, because of the expense---given the way I grow things, I would need a hundred of them.

There are other ways to protect your seedling plants from early- or unexpected cold snaps. Row covers and tunnels, or instance, or cloches. Depending on your needs, you might want to explore some of them.

I have read that an alternative to wal-o-water's is using large stones. Surround your young plants with the largest stones you have. These stones will do the same thing as the water walls - absorb heat during the day and release it at night.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I saw where W.O.W. could be made out of empty 2 litre bottles or gallon jugs. I have never tried it, I wish I could remember where I saw it....

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Well, ok, how about this? Homemade W.O.W's!! Plant your tomato, pepper, squash or whatever. Fill a few plastic bottles or milk jugs full of water, sit them around the plant. Drive a few stakes around the outside and wrap a piece of clear plastic around that, overlap a little and secure it with clothes pins. Bags from the dry cleaner work for this, and they have a vent at the top which can be enlarged and clothes-pinned shut on cold nights. That does the same thing. Cheaper. Save those milk jugs, large soda bottles, etc. They work for me!

(Zone 6a)

I've been using them for years now and I just love them - my tomato plants have even survived late snows. The only "problem" is that sometimes the plants grow so well that they have grown out of the wall before the danger of frost has passed.

New Paris, OH

I love W.O.Ws. I have been getting early crops for years because of them. They are better than bottles filled with water because they completely cover the plant but can be opened when it gets hot.
They do tend to get leaks and than they will fall over onto small plants but they usually do not kill them or do much damage. They will also cook plants if they are not opened on sunny days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.