have seed, now what?

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

I harvested some seed from Stella D'Oro. I realize it won't come true. (I just want to play & see how it comes out)Is there anything special I need to do before I try and germinate these? (stratification,etc)

Nevermind! I just found an old thread: http://members.tripod.com/daylily6/Step_1.html

This message was edited Friday, Aug 16th 6:24 PM

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

dignbloom, I always just plant them in flats under lights around February. There is excellent germination. I found starting them earlier does not give any advantage. They are stored from harvest until planting in the crisper of the refrigerator, this is enough cold. Also, I give them a 'haircut' when they start to get too tall indoors. I have bloom the following summer. You'll be amazed at how husky the plants will be their first summer. I am not sure why anyone would mess around with that peroxide/water routine. Hope this helps! John

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

John, thanks a bunch! I figure if I hide a jar in a dark closet (no basement here) I would forget about it. Out of sight, out of mind. I think I'll try it under the lights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.