volunteers

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

hi all, since there is no volunteer secion, i will make my post here. i have three to four large volunteer veggies. i couldn't tell what they were for a long time other than they were in the squash family...maybe. well, this morning i picked some lovely little patty-pan squash and one of the other plants is a gourd plant......with gourds. the funny thing is that i never planted gourds before but my neighbor did. think i should share? nahhh! hehehe. i once had a volunteer tomato plant with yellow plum tomatoes grow in the space between the sidewalk. go figure.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Volunteers are fun. I leave them if they are not in the way, and sometimes transplant them to a more convenient place. Birds bring some of them, wind brings some, and the kitchen garbage is responsible for others. I also get interesting things that come in on leaves from town that I collect for compost and mulch. One year some of my volunteers produced wonderful squash that may have been a zucchini-butternut cross, I saved the seeds and got something completely different from them the next year. Gardening is such an adventure sometimes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.