stupid question about Hostas

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Can someone tell me if Hostas can be grown from seeds?
My sister has one in her garden and I would like to grow one to for next year.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

yeah, i've grown some from seed, they look a bit weedy now, but should grow a bit more every year. when you buy them as roots they get bigger quicker.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thanks Lilith,
I will ask my sister to give me some seeds to try.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Most hostas are hybrids so the seeds won't be true to the parent. You could get sumthin really unique from them tho and have your own hybrid.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thanks poppysue, I did not know that.

I'm really new to the gardening stuff outside *LOL* good thing there is DG :)

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, here goes another one: why don't my hostas create any seeds/seed pods? I've had one group for over 20 years and narry a seed have I seen. I got some seeds from a swap last winter and planted them and they are just so cute. Are there certain varieties that just don't seed? Thanks. Rose

Warrenton, OR(Zone 8b)

Some hostas produce sterile seeds. Hosta Library very often lists under the plants description which ones are sterile.

Teisha

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

I never sah some seeds at my sisters hosta :(

well I guess I will have to go visit her next time with the showel.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

got a bunch of hosta seeds 2 years ago on eBay. still waiting for something to happen. Guess I lost $6.

Chantilly, VA(Zone 6b)

Many hosta are sterile, others very reluctant to set seed. One variety, however - ventricosa is described by Grenfell as the only Hosta variety to set seeds and come absolutely true from seed "because the seeds are produced without fertilization by a process called pseudogamous apomixis". I have grown this hosta for years from a very old, tough clump rescued from an old homesite. It blooms extravagantly and seems to set every seed. I get thousands of seeds every year, and many volunteers as well. It seems to germinate erratically - I havent figured out all its requirements yet in 15 years of observation. I'm now growing about 100 seedlings to test sun/shade, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.