Muskmelon or Cantalope

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good Question. Every one as a different opinion. Can we get it straightened out?
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I just them interchangeably.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good eating whatever we call them.

(Zone 6a)

old folks call em muskmelons......new generation calls them cantaloupes:) I just eat em:)

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Believe what is grown in the Midwest is truly Muskmelon. There is a difference which has left my mind at the moment. Would have to do a little research to explain it.
TLC

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

There are actually distinct differences. Most of what we grow in America are muskmelons, although we call them cantaloupes.

Cantaloupes are more common in Europe.

Some of the differences: Cantaloupes tend to be smooth skined, and lack the netting found on muskmelons. When ripe, muskmelons separate from their vines, cantaloupes don't.

Although not a sure-fire difference, canteloupes tend to have much more pronounced ribs.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Brook. Thats basicly what I tell my customers. Seems I read once that if we tried to sell real cantaloupes, people wouldn't buy them because they are not a pretty site.
Bernie

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I'd have to disagree about their prettiness, Bernie.

Check out Amy Goldman's new "Melons For The Passionate Grower," and look at some of the color plates. True cateloupes are gorgeous, IMO.

Of course, I'm also big on the Persians and Casavas, in terms of looks.

I don't think people avoid them because they're ugly. It's just not what they're used to seeing, and anything different is suspect. Just like when you introduce non-red heirloom tomatoes. There's an educational process.

Once they taste some of those other melons, though, it's Katy bar the door.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Some factoids for those who like to know such things :)

Cantaloupe is named for Cantalupo, near Tivoli (Rome).

According to the following article (from Texas A&M), all cantaloupes are muskmelons, but all muskmelons are not cantaloupes.

Muskmelons originated in Persia, and the name Muskmelon comes from the Persian word for musk (perfume) and the French term for melon, referring to the sweet aroma when they're ripe.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/vegetabletravelers/muskmelon.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.