Pumpkin pollination

San Francisco, CA

I have three grouds and only one pumpkin plant this year, will I get pumpkins? I was going to try hand pollination, but I can't get both male and female flowers open at the same time, so far. Will the pumpkin cross with the grouds? I would have had more, but strangly many of the seedings did not make it. This is my first time for growing pumpkins or grouds.
Bug Girl

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

You may find this link insightful: http://www.indiaagronet.com/indiaagronet/seeds/CONTENTS/Techniques.htm

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That's an interesting link. Somewhere I read about the amount of space required to keep pumpkins from crossing with other squash family members, but as I recall the average gardener wouldn't have enough space. By now something must be developing out there, what do you see?

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Just for the record, squashes come in six species, which do not cross with each other. So you could grow six different squashes side by side with no problems.

The question is, what pumpkin and what gourds do you have? Most--but certainly not all--pumpkins are Cucurbita maxima, C. mixta, or C. pepo. Gourds, by and large, are C. pepo. So chances are yours won't cross pollinate.

There are always some surprises, though. Assuming your gourds are C. pepo, others in that species include the so-called summer squashes (yellow straight- and crookneck, zucchini and scallop), along with acron and spaghetti squashes, which are winter squashes.

So, if you are also growing, say, zucchini, your gourds could cross with them.

Isolation distance between varieties of the same species is 1/2 mile.

Also keep in mind that squash are outbreeders. Which means that, while male and female flowers appear on the same vine, they cannot fertilize each other. A male can only fertilize a female on a different plant.

San Francisco, CA

I am getting some white/yellow round ones and some yellow ones that look like crook neck. I had to elevate the vines because they were rotting and falling off. The pumpkins are very little and green. I remain hopeful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.