Hiding a hedge

I have a 6'+ hedge forming the front border of my garden. It's a useful shield from traffic, but it's some sort of small uninteresting evergreen and I hate it. It's old and straggly, and I don't bother cutting it, but I can't replace it.

I also have several species Clematis seedlings - several types of C. alpina and C. macropetala and possibly others. Do you think they'd grow over it and convert it into a dense flowering hedge?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mary, how about the evergreen clematis Armandii, a vigorous plant with white flowers and an evergreen honeysuckle.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mary I gave your hedge some more thought - would you believe at 4.30 this morning! Yes, I had a bad night and the only way to stop me worrying about things I can't change was to turn my thoughts to gardening!! The first idea that I had would work but would probably engulf the hedge. Fine if this is what you want. The reason I didn't suggest the clematis you have was because of the bare vines in the winter. However, how about planting another type hedge, beech comes to mind, a few feet from your existing one and when it reaches a good height then have the old hedge removed. Just a couple of ideas. Let us know how you tackle this - it's an interesting dilemma.

Thanks for your suggestions, Louisa. I'm difficult to please, I know, but I don't much like C. armandii as it has small flowers and reminds me of the wild Clematis that used to drape itself all over the trees in our old garden. I was trying to persuade myself that the Clematis I have, perhaps with perennial Sweet Peas, might cover the hedge in the spring and summer, and then it might not grow much in the winter when they died down.

I don't like hedges, not even beech ones, when they're treated as a green wall. I have planted some evergreen shrubs in front of it (Escallonia and Photinia) and I'm working on some taller perennials to put there as well.

One of my dificulties is that I don't spend money on my gardening, so any plants would be grown from seed and any work would have to be done by me or anyone I can persuade to do it. Whilst using the new motor mower is popular, removing 50' of hedge isn't. We've already taken down several hedges that were here when we came, and it was hard work - so I'm told!

I have enough depth to allow both the old hedge and whatever grows in front of it. I'm all for engulfing it altogether, but draw the line at Russian vine. Can anyone suggest any other evergreen flowering climbers? Not Japanese honeysuckle or climbing roses, either - I said I was difficult.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Mary I can understand your reluctance to be 'closed in' so to speak. I much prefer something natural also. What about the evergreen viburnums, especially tinus, which starts budding in the Autumn and continues flowering into early summer. Escallonia I love, so you can't go wrong with that. Pyracantha, all year round interest. Then the climbing hydrangea. Akebia quinata, gorgeous evergreen climber (which I have growing in a pot). I grew Pittosporum tenufolium (sp) in my East Anglia home and although tender it performed very well for me. Ceanothus, another lovely shrub. Hebe, a little tender, but nice. I don't know if the Akebia can be propagated from seed but if it can then perhaps you might like me to send you some seeds. I will do some research on it.

I can't seem to get Ceanothus to do anything here - I used to have a gorgeous one under the bay window of the first house we had. I do love Akebia, and apparently they can be grown from seed - just not by me, yet. You think I should be thinking more exotic, then? Dare I risk Passiflora caerulea - it is south-facing?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Passiflora could work for you. I grew it on a south facing wall and it did very well. If you can keep it sheltered, that is the key!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

How about good old Trumpet vine, or any of the same types like Madame Galen or Carolina Jessimine? I've heard they are quite invasive.

Chester, North Wales, United Kingdom

What about a mixed native hedge with lots of Rugosa roses in it..cos it's mixed it should look less like a wall.
We got local farmer to pull out old hedgerow with a chain, quick as anything and cheap!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.