Ideas for Watering Seedlings?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The first year I grew plants from seed, we had no sink in the basement so I learned to water by filling my spray bottle and milk jugs with the trickle from the washing machine. I'd use a turkey baster to water each cell. We're in our first house now, and it has a wonderful old 2-sided deep utility sink in its basement. I use a little tubing thing we got with our humidifier and watering's quite a bit easier this year! I still have to bring each flat over to the sink, though.

I'd really like to try something with capillary matting, though, so the seedlings receive an even amount of moisture, consistently. What is capillary matting made of? Anyone have any suggestions for a low-cost set-up with this method of watering? Thanks in advance for your suggestions -- I know there's a lot of good ideas brewing out there, so post 'em for us!

Kimberley

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Kimberly, I try to always bottom water my seedlings. I just use trays without holes in the bottom, and put about a quart of water in the bottom of the flat, and let the cells soak up the moisture. Anything that isn't wicked up in a couple hours gets dumped. You could siphon off the water into an old milk jug and then use it to pour into the flats.

One thing I've learned is to never let the soilless starting mix get completely dry, as it won't wick as well if it's completely dry. If one gets dry I use a small bladder-thingy (technical term) I got from Park Seed to sprinkle some water on top. Then it wicks up just fine from the bottom.

Boonville, MO(Zone 5a)

Speaking of wicking, you can actually run some yarn (wick) from under the soil of each cell to a bowl of water and let them use what they need. Just keep the water bowl filled and you won't have a problem. This is a common technique used by african violet growers.

Missoula, MT(Zone 5a)

Thanks Angel, I've been wondering what to use for a wick - now I know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.