honeysuckle

Homer, NY

I have a question about honeysuckle? I just purchased this plant last year and it grew and grew. well over the winter I never cut it back so all winter it was dead wooden vine wellllll last week I went after it with the snippers and clipped it off at the the base where there was a new bud, and when I looked up at that old dead vine low and behold there were buds opening Quite a few and I never saw them until it was too late will I loose this plant I have the two stems in water but now I worry about the main plant will it grow back, it probably depends on the freezing conditions let me know what you think

kelso, WA(Zone 8a)

I never cut mine back either...Should it be??..Or do you just let it grow??..Mine stayed green all year, we had a mild winter...When, if it should, be cut back??...thanks...meplant :) :)

Sanbornton, NH(Zone 4a)

We have a house built in the 1840s, it has a honeysuckle plant that wraps around the south and southwest corner covering almost half the front and 1/4 of the west side of the house. Moral trim it before it eats the house :) Really we just cutout the dead wood every couple of years . And let the bees go nuts on the flowers then the birds get the berries!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I have halls honeysuckle growing like crazy here, I let some of the stems run across the ground, then when I lift them up, There is all rootings on them I cut off pieces where the rootings are stick them in a pot of soil and they grow great, Had much luck this way! ... I never cut te honeysuckle back , I jst let it grow.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 26th 12:11 PM

Never cut mine back either' Sis''Zone5 (NE KS.)

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

well I know how to prune Honeysuckle. leave the whips alone as these carry the flowers for next year. cut these and you get no flowers. ONLY prune the plant when it gets out of control but only cut it back by half each pruning.

#1 thumb you wont get flowers next year but you will in 2003. you may get a few if the buds at the base grow fast enough.

Mark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.