Belladonna Lily (Amaryllis belladonna)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

This bulb flowers later in the summer (August 1st in No. Ca.). The leaves have all died down at the end of spring so the flower stalks are naked, hence naked lady! It has great winter interest for then it has lush green leaves.

Common name: Belladonna Lily
Family: Amaryllidaceae
Genus: Amaryllis
Species belladonna

Thumbnail by Kell
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This picture caught my eye immediately. What a prolific bloomer you have there.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Wow

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

And they are all blooming together. What a prettttty sight!

Lakeland, FL

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Do you happen to have any more bulbs from this plant?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow, wow, wow. Must have. Going to look for it now.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

WOW is right what a beauty!!! Love how they are clumped together!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL. I just found this thread again! I probably planted 1 or 2 of these and over time they multiplied! It really puts on a big show now. I have 5 diffrent clumps all over the yard. I really like it for its winter green it supplies. This is what it looks like today. By February it will be twice as big. In the spring it starts to die back and then all summer other things grow over it and in late summer it puts out those spectacular flowers.

Thumbnail by Kell
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rylaff, let me know if you find a source for these. They are stunning!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This place has them. They have a good reputation, so I might try some.
http://www.amaryllis.com/cat3.htm

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rylaff, I see that Michigan Bulb company is having a sale on these. Buy one, get one free. However, since they have over 350 negative ratings in the Garden Watchdog I think I will look elsewhere.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee, HD has them this year. Have you looked there Rylaff? I would think they would sell them in your zone.

NoH2O, would you keep them in a GH over winter so they could grow their leaves?

Stone Mountain, GA(Zone 7b)

Spectacular! I must have some of these!! Ha!
yvana :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Kell, I would if I could. No GH here. I think I would just store bulbs unpotted in a cool dark place or order them in the spring.

The PDB is kind of confusing about hardiness. It lists it as hardy to zone 5a. Floridian says to dig and store the bulbs over the winter in the coldest zones. Shelly221 said hers came up under her compost bin in zone 4, although the warmth and shelter from her bin could have added a zone or two.

I am wondering if transplanting in the spring after growing all winter would force them into early dormancy? I just don't know if the cycle is the same for the cold zones as the warmer ones.

I grow Naked Ladies (Lycoris) and the leaves emerge in March, die back in late June and the flowers come up in August. The leaves are only out for a few months but it is enough.

I guess we need to find someone who has grown these in zones 4 - 6. Maybe someone on the Bulb forum can tell us.

Now for a little humor: Michigan Bulb is selling one bulb for $14.99. Buy one, get one free. That comes to $7.50/bulb. Plus over 350 negative ratings in the Garden Watchdog. Amaryllis Bulb Co. is selling them for $7.95 each and has 1 positive rating. I think I would rather take my chances with the Amaryllis Bulb Co. LOL!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I would tell you I would buy some at HD for you but by the time you paid for postage they would probably come out the same price. I remember I sent a bunch out last year and it costs alot! The bulbs are big.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the offer, Kell. They would probably freeze to mush on the way here.! I think I will wait until spring and then see what is available. Who knows? Maybe someone will be running a co-op that offers them. Or my local HD might carry them.

I am so glad you posted your picture. They are really beautiful.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Oh my Kell, that is a spectacular display. Love the color.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

WOW! What an excellent pic!

Sioux Falls, SD

Just searching for info on dividing our Naked Lady. Wanted to let you know that they are hardy in Sioux Falls, SD - zone 4. Ours is planted at the edge of our vegetable garden, completely unprotected. We do not do anything special in the fall. Our lady is 5 years old and doing great! Sorry, no photo yet!

Oak View, CA

These come up in my yard every year. I did not plant them. One of the pictures under lycoris squamigera looks like them, too (Ulrich's)...but I think they are really amaryllis belladonna. My yard was just a part of a ranch before we built our house, so maybe someone had thrown out plants long ago. I get other surprises, too, such as pink calla lillies, etc. My naked ladies are a very light pink, and they smell like bubble gum. They seem to divide well, and my husband has moved them into pots or in different areas without any trouble. It was a big surprise for us to see all the leaves come, die, and then to get the 'ladies' visit in the summer.

Los Angeles, CA

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what to do with the seeds once the flower dies down? I have alot of seeds and would really love to use them, but I'm not sure how to plant them or what to do? Any info would be appreciated!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I do not know. Every year I say I am going to plant the seeds but I never seem to have time.

Canberra, Australia(Zone 8b)

Great picture. Do you fertilize them at all? pokerboy.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Can't say that I do fertilize. They may get run off fertilizer or get hit by foliar feed inadvertently.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Have no words.............................................beautiful.

Kaleem

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Stunning! Color is a show stopper.

I grow them here in zone 4a with no covering and have had the lt. pink variety for many yrs.

Would love to get the dp. pink.

Maxine

Oak View, CA

Well -- mine are almost in full bloom again. Have always enjoyed them as they were 'volunteers' and they are so unusual. There are many of them growing in my area. Summer is not summer if they don't bloom. I always anticipate the emergence of the blooms after the greenery has all died away...it is almost like a resurrection plant!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Opoetree, around here we generally grow amaryllis indoors. You're lucky to have them as outdoor annuals!

Oak View, CA

Well -- I guess every part of the world is a little different, eh? We are lucky not to experience great extremes in weather...but, it can be awfully dry,,,right now we are experiencing the smoke form the 'Zaca' fire. We would like to have some rain! However, two and a half years ago, we had too much rain and our yard was flooded and a lot of it was swept down into a barranca. Life is so exciting...plants are, too!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The weather and gardening keep us humble!

Oak View, CA

We had 27 'stalks' this year. I think a few more come along each year...unless we move the bulbs...so, will see how many pop up next year.
The flowers are just now withering away...nice while they lasted. Anyone notice the scent smells like that sugary banana candy?

Oak View, CA

Well...the stalks are emerging again. I found 3 so far. It is fun to hunt for them under the dried up leaves.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Your post reminds me I haven't noticed any flower stalks this year. I need to go look and see if they are coming up yet.

Oak View, CA

Well -- the 'naked lady' season is almost over in my area. We had 35 stalks emerge this year...up 8 from last year. I guess as long as we don't move them, they reproduce pretty well. I just love to sniff their oddly sweet Easter candy smell! They smell just like those sugary (supposedly banana-flavored) soft candies that you can find in the stores at Easter.

I noticed some clumps along HWY. 192 that I hadn't noticed before. Carpinteria has a lot of nurseries and I have also noticed some bushes that flower extremely well with large rosy blossoms that I would like to find out the name for.

OK -- I guess it's 'hasta luego' time for naked ladies of 2008.

Oak View, CA

July 28 -- first appearance this year (2009). Looks like they popped up almost 2 weeks earlier last year!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I think mine need to be divided. The bloom production is not like it used to be. Yours sound great!

Oak View, CA

Ours have been divided quite a bit. One time they were moved and didn't appear for awhile, but now they are pretty constant.

I saw 7 today. It is fun to wait for the arrivals!

Oak View, CA

2 weeks later and now I have seen 59 stalks with blooms...up 24 from last year.

Lots of these ladies, but my silver urn bromeliad hasn't bloomed in almost 5 years! However, I also have the 'friendship plant' or 'Queen's Tears' bromeliad and it keeps making more friends! More and more and more...just like the ladies!

Jesup, GA(Zone 8b)

I don't see anyone here advising that Naked Lilies be planted__ transplanted in their season of dormancy.

The "old folks" used to say that if they were dug when they had leaves they wouldn't bloom for 5 years. That seems a few years too long for accuracy, but it makes a point.

The time we think about Naked Ladies is when they are in beautiful bloom, but that is not the time to dig them up either.

Though I never had any trouble transplanting or sharing bare bulbs, I can't remember, now that I am "old folks" and have not had any lately, whether the time to catch them at the right time is soon after the bloom has come and gone__after flowers, before leaves,
or in the summer after leaves and before flowers__or both of these times. I hope one of you will clarify this.

Oak View, CA

We have had the most luck transplanting after the summer bloom...well into fall, but before our rainy season. I think anytime they are moved there is a 'getting settled' period that might take a year for adjustment.

Hope that helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.