Lg Minibar Rose MG

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This is from seeds that I bought as the Large Minibar Rose morning glory. The plants are like the Minbar Rose in size & variegation but the blooms are large like a full sized glory. It's planted in the seat of an old wooden chair to climb up the back. Doesn't seem to be working the way I wanted it to.

Dave this looks like you Big Smile glory ... don't ya think?

Thumbnail by poppysue
(Zone 8a)

Poppy...that is a gorgeous one! I grew them too from last years seed and some of them get 5 ins across! They are not mini!

Sue,

Regarding naming: Mine were given to me as "Sun Smile", not "Big Smile".

Anyway, yes, what you have is exactly what I have. The shape of the leaves (3 fingers) and the variegation is identical. Additionally, the pink/red flower with white tips and throat are exactly like mine.

I'm growing these in a couple different containers, as well as a few straight in the ground. I've found the container grown ones don't do very well, but the ones in the ground are doing unbelievably excellent.

The foliage on mine are fairly prickly... hairy, velvety, whatever. They are not smooth.

Here's a picture of Sun Smile from someone else: http://www.poporo.ne.jp/~kondoh/asagao/asagao98.htm It's the top one shown. Notice the color is the same and the bloom is almost the same, but the foliage is smooth. This deepens the mystery for me.

Based on the bloom and foliage color, I'd say this is certainly a "Sun Smile".

Dave

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Hmmm - MGs seem to be a pretty mixed up genus. I certainly can't straighten it out!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

this is what mine looks like and the tag said Minibar rose too. I love it whatever it is, it's one of my favorite plants.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Now Sue, yours is exactly like mine..and I said the same about Dave's! only the label on mine is Ipomea purpurea...Elaine

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

SO Poppysue, there is a large minibar and there is a plain minibar. But the large minibar has 5 inch blooms? I just planted my minibar today......I am so late...............

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.