Them tiny black bugs!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Last year they showed up and ate my kolorabi all in one day. They came, they ate and left. They did this in one day while I was at work. This evening I noticed them on the collards. If I still have any collards left by morning, what can I do about them? They are about the size of a pin head and there's lots of them.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Do they look like this: http://davesgarden.com/showforumphoto.php?imageid=15293

?

It's unlikely the attackers are Pollen Beetles Evert, they only attack flowers.

It could be a type of Flea Beetle, they love Brassicas but will attack a number of plants.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05592.html

:] I asked do they look like them, hahahaha... pollen beetles have left my calendulas, I wonder which flower did they make their home now.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Sounds like flea beetles.They can munch their way through a row of eggplant in 1 night too.The good thing is,they won't last forever.

I'm not usually one for using chemicals,but I sprinkled my eggplant with Sevin Dust this season and this is the first year that they weren't completely eaten up.I only used it twice and now the plants are big enough to fend for themselves.

Usually I don't mind sharing my garden with bugs,figuring I'd rather have a bug hole or two as the chemical residue.But sometimes you just have to use drastic action.

If you do use chemicals,only dust the plants that are infested,and when the bad bugs die or leave,discontinue use.I hate the thought of killing beneficials and would _never_dust my garden on a wholesale basis.

For 99% of the time,natural methods work just fine.Insectidal soap is effective and you could try that first if you want to.It may be that you can save your plants and not have to resort to the chemical alternative.

Or then make some 'Urtica Soup', it kills lots of different bugs and has got nutritions and other nicey things for the plant. I'm not sure does Urtica grow there anyway :}

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I took a picture of the bugs and will post it in another thread. The don't look like any of the ones mentioned I don't think. Look for the thread titled black bug id. on the ID forum. Thanks for all the help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.