Planting potatoes now???

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm working on potato varieties for the PDB. In my search for information, I came across an article that advocated starting potatoes in July, harvsting in October (this is recommended only for southern gardens, obviously...)

Has anyone done this? Any tips/pointers? I wouldn't mind getting in a second crop of potatoes if it actually works...

That's funny you mention this. Just yesterday I was browsing through my Vegetable Gardening book from Ortho and they also advocated this practice for southern gardeners. They said planting in late July for a fall harvest is a fantastic idea.

They also suggested that some varieties are more conducive to this than others, but didn't elaborate.

dave

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Makes sense ya'll...never thought about it before,but it's worht a shot...especially since there was _no_ potato crop here this spring. I'd keep them watered till the weather moderates,but I'd bet it will work.

Hmmmm. Now the question is, where to find seed potatoes this late in the season...well, if I find some sources I'll post them back here.

Others may disagree with me, but I'm of the opinion that you can make your own seed potatoes by re-using some tubers from your last crop. That's how they did it for thousands of years - they didn't go to the local coop for tubers, they just used the remainder from the last crop.

I did that this past year with my Kennebecs and they came out beautifully. In fact, I didn't even re-plant them, I just plowed up the potato area late last fall, and in April of this year those plowed up potatoes sprouted and we had a nice harvest of potatoes a month or so ago.

dave

I should add... I called the Loudon-McMinn co-op this morning to ask about seed potatoes. The sales rep told me they were all out of seed potatoes (had been for over 2 months now) and that he didn't know of anyone else who would have them.

Well, duh. I have the tag-ends of my high-priced Rosegolds; I wonder if I should turn them out on top of the soil to make them greensprout before I move them into a vacant bed?

I never did - I planted them (whole, actually) right in the ground and the sprouting occurred after they were buried. I don't know which is best.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Well my compost pile might not be so great, as I never turn it, but there are potatoes growing in it, HMMMMM

So now I just water the compost pile as things are added to it, and the potatoes just get bigger. I think that this happened last year, too.

In the main we plant 3 crops of potatoes in the UK. None are planted much later than late May. However, if you grow first earlies you can get a reasonable second crop for December. When you harvest them set a few aside and plant them in July. They will need heavy watering especially in areas where the rainfall is low during tuber formation. The haulmn is covered with cloches when the risk of frost is imminent. When December is upon us you can then harvest the tubers for fresh new potatoes!

I think a crop planted in July here would be no where near harvesting by October, you must have super potatoes in the US ;)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Or more likely super weather. Anywhere in the US south would be warmer than the UK.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.