Hyacinth Seed

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom

My husband is very proud of himself. He isn't a "Gardener" as such, but decided to plant 3 hyacinth bulbs last autumn that remind him of his "Younger Days"!

They have flowered fantasticly, and i don't think their is a neighbour around who doesn't know about them!! But i noticed this evening that where the flowers are withering away, there a big fat seeds forming. Could somebody tell me if and how he could collect this and produce more plants/bulbs.

You never know this might inspire him further and he may get the gardening bug.

Thanks Daisy

I haven't actually collected Hyacinth seeds, but if the plant produces them, there's no reason why you can't try and grow them to get more bulbs.

They're probably similar to Bluebell seeds. When the pods are dry, papery and brownish, they'll have round black seeds inside. They're often quite helpful and stay in there even when the seedpod has opened, so you can easily collect at least some of them.

If you plant them in the autumn, they should germinate the following spring, and make new baby bulbs. Probably take a few years to reach flowering size, though.

Boonville, MO(Zone 5a)

I don't know about hyacinth, but if you take the seeds of daffadils you can plant them at any time. They produce lovely foliage but not flowering for up to 5 years. If you have the space then I say go for it. Plant the seeds in a row maybe someplace you don't spend a lot of time and care if you have flowers. You can leave them and move them later.

Boonville, MO(Zone 5a)

I just found what I am sure is a hychinth seed pod. It had 6 seeds in it. I am planting them in a container. I'll let you know if I get any sprouts. I don't expect to have any flowers anytime soon of course, but I just love to experiment and how can I possibly just let these seeds go to waste?!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.