Hydrangea cultivars are in!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

For all the hydrangea lovers, these are for you :)
http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php?search_text=Hydrangea

By my count, there are 139 mopheads, 70 lacecaps, 74 serrata, 29 quercifolia, 11 aspera, 38 paniculata and 7 arborescens cultivars. I'm hoping that we will soon have many photos to go with most of these entries. And your comments/observations that you might add are also most appreciated.

I'm still working on the more obscure species and cultivars. When completed, that could bring us up to around 700 entries for the Hydrangea genus.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Great stuff Terry but can't agree with Deutzia and Philadelphus being part of this list. We know that there are many different plants belonging to the same family but the characteristics are entirely different. Such is the case with the two I mention. I haven't been through the whole list but will return to it now.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hydrangea villosa also belongs to the aspera group Terry. I think that's all I can comment on. Another job well done!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

what a TON of work!!!!!!!! I hope I put mine in the correct slot. I am new to all this. Your work is much appreciated.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Louisa, the reason the Deutzia and Philadelphia show up is because it's the result of a simple search for Hydrangea (which is also found in the word "Hydrangeaceae", which is the same family...does that make sense? I do apologize; I forgot they would show up in the search results, and I can see where that could trip up someone looking at it.

Hopefully someone looking for a specific hydrangea would include species or cultivar name, and not be confused by other genera.

With regards to the villosas, they're in the unfinished list :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Terry I realized why they were included in the hydrangea family just as certain plants which are not roses, appear in the rose family!! :-) Still, a great job!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.