Vegie Patch

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

My first vegetable garden in several years. Used to have perennials in the bed. Let's see, 2 varieties of Basil, parsley, garlic chives, wax beans (yellow), pole beans, peppers, and tomatoes. I am having such a good time that 7' will be added-on next season.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 20th 11:54 PM

Thumbnail by golddog
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

ENJOY! Have a veggie garden, of any size, is definitely worth having!! Glad to hear that you are also growing fresh herbs to eat with your veggies. Don't forget, you can grow a tremendous amount of veggies vertically, such as peas, cucumbers, pole beans, tomatoes, squash. The root vegetables can grow below and the pumpkins can twine around the base of them. You'd be surprise how much produce you can grow in a small garden. Happy eating!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shirley, I will take your advice.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Looks really good. It's amazing how much you can cram into a small space. A good how to book about intensive gardening is called Square Foot Gradening. Be sure to have something ready to put in when you pull something up, a lot of crops are short season like radishes and lettuce, ready to eat in a month. If you let your parsley go to seed it will self seed and pop up everywhere next year. Happy gardening!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks MaryE, I am going to have to think more of herbs, as they don't seem to take up much room.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Hi, Golddog!

Your garden looks great! I didn't start anything 'til about a month ago, due to lack of fencing from the deer. I can't believe that there are tomatoes on there already! Basil and bush beans are in there, too. Also in another raised bed I put a couple of zucchini seeds and one plant is already two feet across. No fruit yet, but when they start coming, they won't stop. Also bush beans in there, too. These were all from old seed and the germination is sporadic. Just the tomatoes and basil were 4 inch'ers. The weather has been in the high 80's to 90. I didn't expect the tomatoes to set 'til it cooled off a tad.

Nice pics. Do you have a digital camera now? I will be shopping around for one.

Evelyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.