Grancy Graybeard semi-ripe cuttings?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Okay, all you hard-core propagators (gee, somehow that doesn't sound quite complimentary, does it?) My neighbor graciously offered to let me take cuttings of her Grancy Graybeard (Chionanthus virginicus) this spring. A little research led me to believe that semi-ripe cuttings taken in July would be best. Before I take pruners in hand, I could use some advice - how much of a stem to take, how to choose the stems to take from, and (most importantly) what to do with them when I get them back home? I doubt I'll get another shot at this specimen, so I'd like to make sure the first attempt succeeds.

Vol

Since no one else has answered this one so far I'll have a go.

Not having grown this particular plant, I can't say for sure but I would personally take 4-6 inch long cuttings and use several different methods and potting media. I understand these do well being layered as well if your neighbour would allow that?

Hopefully one or two would work and you would have a good plant out of it all.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Terry, Did you have any luck with the Grancy? I just bought one, still in pot and about to flower.

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

Terry do a search here on Grancy Gray Beard and you may get so more info on it. Mine is just now starting to bloom.Will post a pic when it opens soon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.