I need your help

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Below is a long list of H. macrophylla cultivars that I haven't been able to determine if they are lacecap or mophead types. If you can help out with any of them, I would really appreciate it. Some of these are pretty obscure; others may be spelled incorrectly or have another name (translated or otherwise.) Some may be invalid, or belong to another species - that information would be most helpful, too.

The good news is, this is the "tag end" of the (even longer) list I've created for Dave to get more Hydrangea information in the PDB (so get ready - you'll soon see many new entries for all Hydrangea species, and they'll need some photos and info!!!)

Please post back here any that you are able to determine the type. Thanks in advance!

Aarburg
Abendrot
Alaska
Albrechburg
Altenburg
André Mallet
Apotheose
Ardtornish
Armand Draps
Arthur Billard
Australia
Ave Maria
Baby Bimbenet
Badger's Choice
Banque Marze
Bellikon
Biberstein
Blaufrüh
Blue Bonnet
Blue Lady
Blue Mac
Blue Pac
Bois de L'Annee
Boncuse
Bouguy
Brilliant
Brux Hail (Bruxelles)
Brympton Mauve
Burg Rosenburg
Cendrillon (Cinderella)
Chambellan
Charles Guillon
Claudie Andrey-Deshaies
Constellation
Côte d'Azur
Doctor Bernhard Steiniger
Drap's Pink
Drap's Wonder
Düsseldorf
Edelweiss
Edith Binz
Elbe
Elmar Steiniger
Endless Summer
Eric Pellerin
Etoile Violette
Favorite
Fiançailles
Fire Flame
Fireworks Blue
Florence Bolt
Forest Foster (Vorster Fruhot)
Général Patton
Glärnischt
Gloria
Goffersberg
Grand Chef
Guilin (x Yanshuo (Chine))
H. J. Jones
Habsburg
Hallwyl
Hatfield Rose
Heidegg
Hera
Hidcote Pink
Highdown Form
Hime-Gaku Ajisai
Hirta
Hobella
Hofmeise
Homigo (Hovaria)
Hortulanus Witte
Ice Blue
Immaculata
Intermezzo
Iowa
Iris
Ito Shiofuki kaigan "Shibori"
J. F. Mac Leod
James Grant
Jean Varnier
Jeanne d'Arc
Juno
Kasteler
Katsuko
King Fischer
Kirsten
Klaveren
Kluis Sensation
Königin Wilhemina
Königstein
La Lande
La Perle
Lady Katsuko
Lancelot
Lausanne
Lenzburg
Leopold III
Liebegg
Louis Mouillère
Maebachi Street
Maman
Manilla
Marathon
Marie de Vals
Marie-Claire
Mariesii Great Other
Mariko
Marquis de Keroüartz
Mascotte
Messalina
Mignon
Mikanba
Miyakejima-Temari
Mme A. Riverain
Mme Aimé Gijseling
Mme G. F. de Bier
Mme Gilles Goujon
Mme J. de Smet
Mme Joubert
Mme Plumecoq
Mme René Bossard
Monfort Perle
Mongommery
Mousmée Forme
Mrs Kumiko
Mrs McNeal
Münster
Nadeshiko-Gaku
Neufriesdorf
Nobuko
Ostergruss
Otaksa Monstrosa
Otsuhime
Paw Paw Pink
Pax
Pensée
Piamina Winning Edge
Pieta
Pink Parfait
Pink Princess
Pirate
Pompadour
Président R. Touchard
Prince Azul
Professeur Iida
Professor D. Bois
Prométhée
Queen Elizabeth
Radiant
Raymond Draps
Red Baron
Red Rock
Rex
Rheinland
Rigi
Robur
Rosdohan Pink
Rosée
Rosenberg
Royal
Royal Bouquet
Royal Purple
Satellite (Taspo)
Satinette
Schadendorf Perle
Schneeball
Schöne Bautznerin
Schwan (Schwann)
Schwester Alba
Seascape
Sensation 75
Shamrock
Shizuoka Ken
Sibilla
Sigyn Hartmann
Snow
Sonja
Sontags Kind
Souvenir de Claire
Splendens
Splendour
Starlet
Starogaku
Stein Rose
Steina 104
Stene's Pink
Stourton Lace
Stratford
Sumida-no-Hanabi
Superba
Suprème
Swester Alba
Sybilla
Takao
Tastar
Tatsu
Tegerfelden
Thierstein
Thomas Hogg
Ticino
Tindorissa
Tosca
Touraine
Triomphe
Trotsburg
Unesco 1
Unesco 2
Universal
Ursula
Val du Loir
Venedig
Verdun
Vespa
Violetta
Vorster Frührot
Vulcain
Vuurwerk
Wartburg
Wave Hill
Weisse Königin
Wien
Wildegg
Wildenstein
Woodworth White
Yola
Yvonne Cayeux
Zeisig
Zurich

The list is slightly shorter now (although with ~280 names, it's still pretty long.) But in comparison, the list of Hydrangea species and cultivars that will soon be uploaded into the PDB contains almost 400 entries, to which you'll be able to add your own comments, photos, (or simly peruse) very soon.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 22nd 11:05 AM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

That's quite some task Terry. I have only once seen a list like this in the Esveld catalogue in Europe.

Louisa, F.A. Esveld is an excellent resource. I have used their online photo gallery to help sort out many cultivars already - even if I can't read the details, I can see the type and color from the photos. And there's always translation software if I need to get the gist of what is written :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

It's my favourite site and would welcome it completely in English!!! That would be such a treat!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm curious about "Etoile Violette". I know that it is a clematis, but didn't know there was a Hydrangea by the same name.

This is just a thought, but have you considered contacting Mike Dirr, a leading authority in hybridzing, cultivating, and growing hydrangea, at the University of Georgia? He has his own website which is www.nobleplants.com. Hope this is of help.

Shirley, I've come across a lot of Mike Dirr's writing, both on the web and in print. He's certainly a well-reknowned authority on many types of shrubs and trees. To be honest, I'm not sure he'd want to spend time researching this list - he's undoubtedly a busy guy. Or were you suggesting something else? (I'm a bit dense sometimes, lolol.)

I'm hoping that all our DG Hydrangea forum participants might each tackle a few of these, and help me track down a few details (type, color, height...) In that way, the number of hydrangeas in the PDB can increase quickly and significantly (when I do all the research personally, it can slow things down.)

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

go_vols, I feel helpless reading this thread. I would like to help, but don't know what I can do. I don't have any Hydrangea books or such. Do you need help searching the web?

golddog (and others who may be feeling helpless) - the easiest way to search online for these plants is to do a search (I like Google, but everyone has their own preferred search engine), and type in the word Hydrangea, followed by the cultivar name. So for example, Aarburg would be searched for as Hydrangea Aarburg

The search results (if there are any) would lead you to discovering if it's a macrophylla or some other species, and perhaps a photo or description to glean the bloom color, time, and/or height at maturity.

I have already exhausted Toni Lawson-Hall's book (it was available at my local library); I'm starting to think I need to break down and purchase Corinne Mallet's two-volume book.

I need to revise the above list, as I have located some of the cultivars myself. I'll edit it ASAP, and then if anyone can try their hand at searching out a few of them, just let me know what you find - even if you couldn't locate anything, that's still helpful.

On a related subject, I'm really puzzled to find the American Hydrangea Society (headquartered out of Georgia), apparently doesn't have a web site - what's up with that? Does anyone belong, or know if it's worth the (modest) dues? (I'm starting to think I REALLY need to take a trip to Georgia this fall or next spring, and see if I can personally contact someone within this org, plus pay a visit to Wilkerson Mill's hydrangea farm...)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I have Blue Wave lace caps adn they arent on your list. I have merritt Supreme mopheads adn they aren;t on the list. sorry. I can;t help

thanks mingsmimi - check the PDB; I *think* they're both in there now.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I found a few from your list at www.esveld.nl (English Stock List). Hope this helps.

Hydrangea macrophylla (all the ones below)
"Hidcote Pink"
"Lady Katsuko"
"Leopold III"
"Marathon"
"Mousmee Forme"
"Otaksa Monstrosa"
"Otsuhime"
"Pink Princess"

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

wow, Terry, what a list! Endless Summer is a mophead- the only one I recognize.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Terry
'Royal Purple' is a mophead. I've been growing two plants given to me by a grower 2 years ago, which just flowered for the first time. I've added photos to the PFs, but here is a closeup of the bloom. I have not acidified the soil as I wanted to see what I would get first. Extremely dry conditions this year -- this cultivar is fareing better than average with the dry conditions!
Lynne

Thumbnail by lmelling

Ummmm, that list (and this thread) is over three years old. I appreciate the input and the photos, but I *think* (my memory isn't what it used to be) that I was able to get most of those sorted out a while back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.