First Cypress vine bloom!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I just love this little vine, it is always so hardy and full of pretty blooms!

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

can't wait till mine gets some flowers. Those are so cute.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hello Mollybee, Yes it is such a pretty sweet little thing, tell me is it perenniel? Do you grow this from seed? Do you know what its scientific name is? I just love vines.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Lenjo, Far as I know they are just an annual, but they reseed themselves very well!! All mine this year are from seeds that fell from the vines last year. But I did start mine from seed last year and they seem to be a fast growing little vine also. I only know them as Cypress vine..don't know any other name for them sorry :( I do know that they come in pink, white, and the red. The only pink one I have seems to be a bit slower than the red ones though.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I love these too. They really get going in the fall. Hummingbirds love it. I had lots of seeds if I didn't give them all away. If I did, Mollybee and I both will probably have plenty this fall to send you some, Lenjo. I only have red. Gonna get some white seed this fall though. Grows wild around here. Scientific name -- ipomoea quamoclit -- also called Quamoclit pennata. This is from an old Time Life Encyclopedia of Gardening - Vines (1979).

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the help Gingerlily, with a name like that I think that Cypress Vine is easier to say *giggle*
Yep, she's right I should have plenty of seeds this fall. So remind me K?

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I'm with you Mollybee. I don't get into scientific names to much. But since being on Dave's, I look them up from time to time cause a good many people do and I don't know what they are talking about. Course if you want a specific plant, that's the way to get it I reckon.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

How true!! I mean who'da thunk that "ipomea quamaclit" would mean "cypress vine"!! Looking at that big word you'd think that it was a rare plant! LOL I try to use the common names as much as possible...mainly b/c I can't pronounce the real ones *giggle*

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I would love some seed, the only reason I asked for the scientific name as it did look familiar and I thought it might be an ipomea and you confirmed that , Gingerlily, thank you.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Living in Florida, my cypress vines have been going like crazy for quite some time...I have seeds if anyone wants some. I like its cousin, cardinal climber better. It seems to stay green longer and the blooms are almost alike. ( I don't know if it's its cousin or not so don't call me on that...leaves on Cardinal Climber are almost ivy shapped with a few more lobes...how's THAT for scientific?? LOL)

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I have mine trailing thru the garden beds, and I just found 4 blooms on them. I just love the way they can hide some fading foilage and blooms!!

"eyes"

Blum, TX(Zone 8a)

There is another plant that is similar. The bloom is red and it is small but the leaves are palmate shaped it is called cardinal climber.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

That's right tink........love it too.

"eyes"

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Yep Tink, I had those last year and they reseed themselves too! I have a few of them this year too, just not as many as the cypress vines. The Cardnial climber reminds me of a sand dollar when you look at the blooms..pretty!!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

If their seeds aren't removed/collected before they dry out and fall off, you will find numerous little seedlings beneath it in some while. I have found that Cypress vine seeds more readily than Cardinal climber. The leaves of the former forms into a more bushy appearence than the latter.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Pretty.. Mine are blooming everywhere..it was from last year.. Hummingbirds do love them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.