sedums

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a bi-color sedum, The plant looks like sedum "Autumn Joy" only bi-color. Cream center with green border. I have had one stem come up that is completely cream colored. I would like to try to propagate this, but am thinking it is the wrong time of year. It seems a little more delicate than the mother plant. Also with this cream coloring I am thinking it does not have as much chlorophyll as the mother plant. Could it be getting some of it's energy from the mother plant, and would surely die if I try to split it? Should I wait until Spring and break up the whole plant and hope that part of it will come up completely cream colored?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

KathyJo: I usually propagate sedum by snipping a stem, letting the cut end harden a bit, then stick it in soil. The cutting usually roots. You might want to try it with one of the lesser important stems first.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep - I pinch & root this type of sedum all season. Of course if you pinch it back too late in the season, that stalk won't flower, but the one you root probably will! they are tougher than they look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.