MOONFLOWER!!!

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

My very first Moonflower bloomed this evening. It is so big and beautiful!!! I planted them from seed and have them climbing with my Heavenly Blue MG's. I don't have a digital camera yet, so I used my video camera. I'll probably look back at it and think how silly I was. But for now, I am delighted!!
Thanx for listening!
Cecelia

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I know my very first moonflower(Datura) was a white one, huge! I was so... fascinated with it and showing everyone who came, smelling it, etc. Now I have the dbl. purple and the blue one.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Hibiscus, has your variegated blue bloomed yet? I think mine might open in a day or two.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Celia - you've done pretty darn good!! I grew moonflowers last year and I got about 3 blooms just before the frost got em. You should have lots of blooms to look forward to. Congrats :]

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

congratulations. mine i just transplanted last week from pots to the ground. but at least they are bigger than the mg's that have a couple have finally gotten there 2nd set of leaves. i'm waiting patiently. :) ok, ok, so not so patiently :) if the trueth be known. :)

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I have buds on my blue variegated, been soo hot and dry, that kind of held them back.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Indeed they are huge and lovely. The fragrance is as good as the flower! I'm growing it from a trade and it already 8-10 ft.tall and my neighbour is too happy for it because that one faces her house!! Already some seed pods are forming and they are huge too.

This message was edited Friday, Jun 28th 5:52 AM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

There are other color Moon Flowers?

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

I thought all moon flowers were white too. I am learning a lot on DG., and happy about it.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Celia, wish you had a camera so we could all see your pretty flowers. I like the sounds of this one.

The blue variegated is called Missouri Marble and is a datura. I don't know......are moonflowers and datura the same thing? Seems to me that the moon flower has a pea size seed and the Datura have a funny little flat seed. Anyway, I posted a picture of my Mo. Marble on the Brug forum and I'm very disappointed in it. The bloom is white, not blue as expected. The foliage is still nice, but not as heavy and dense as regular datura.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Shhhhhhhhhhh. I'm not supposed to know, but I'm pretty sure my DH is getting me a digital camera for our 1st wedding anniversary which is July 1st. So hopefully I can start posting some of my 'babies'.
I don't know much about ANY flowers, but I'm learning. I thought all moonflowers were white too.
Thanx for all the great feedback!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Celia, will cross my fingers that you get the camera. You will love it. Makes starting threads even more fun when you can put some of your pictures here for others to see.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Okay, here's the scoop---Moon Vine, Ipomoea alba, is the thing that's like a big white morning glory that opens at night. There are a few other species of Ipomoea that open at night , and are also sometimes called Moon Vines. One's pink, and I think there's supposed to be a purple, also.
'Moonflower' usually refers to Datura, and there are several different species of it. Some are white, and the one most commonly called Moonflower is D. inoxia. The variegated one is a cultivar of this species, called D. inoxia 'Missouri Marble'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.