Perenial Morning Glories?

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Is there such a thing as a perenial Morning Glory? I have seen one spilling over an eight foot block wall, when I drive my Grandaughter to school. It is in full bloom and glorious. Mine are just barely getting started and no where near blooming, even the ones that reseeded them selves and got an early start. So I'm thinking this must be a perenial. It lots like a Grandpa Ott's, at least the color. I haven't gotten close enough to see the leaves. Any one have an answer. I WANT ONE!!! I may have to go up and knock on thier door to ask them what it is.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Ipomoea Acuminata (sp?) "Blue Dawn" Morning GLory
is a perrenial.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

To what temperature is it perennial. I have it, but I'd bet it couldn't take our cold winters. My Logees catalog says "minimum temperature 50*, everbloomer."

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

I am pretty sure it is hardy to zone 8. I doubt it could take those Iowa winters too!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I love that one.......I'm moving south!!

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I planted a perenial mg last fall. It is blue. I don't know the name, just got a root piece from a friend who didn't know either. She said it doesn't make seed. Is that true? My plant has grown a tremendous amount. It was just a little scraggly piece last fall, but it is wonderful this year. Seems to grow very fast. Has been blooming 2 or 3 blooms at a time, not full blooming yet. I think it may do more later in the fall. Have seen some around here that do.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

I also heard that it does NOT set seed but is propagated by cuttings and root segments. I am trying it this year and will let you know.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

It's definitely not going to produce seed if it is from a clone!It will be self incompatible!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I threw some seeds down around my lamp post two years ago. Did noting to it except open the package. Nothing happened until this year. Now it is growing like crazy. I would like to see more blooms but I guess next year it will have that. Do you know if I should cut down in fall or just leave it growing.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

hmmmmm....I have never grown it before this year but I would suspect it freezes to the ground. I will probably take in some cuttings or root segments just to be sure i have it next year... if this year is like last, it won't freeze here until Jan or Feb

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

It roots very easily. If it touches the ground it roots. DH wants to start some on an arbor. The one I have is growing on the post for the swing (we used telephone poles, so they are quite large).

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Has anyone managed to get any of the Ipomoea acuminata that is variegated?It is produced by Monterey Bay Nursery in California.I don't have any ,but I was interested to have someone send me some pollen.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Lunasee, it's gonna come back every year now. Just you wait and see!!

"eyes"

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for the information. Now, can anyone tell me where to get a cutting or a plant? Or maybe I'll still have to go knock on their door for a cutting. I'm sure some one who has something that beautiful would want to share. That's the way gardeners are. :)

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Personally, I would stop and ask for a piece. Should be able to find a runner on the ground that has roots already. If you can't get one that way, let me know and I'll send you a piece. notmartha is still waiting for her glorybower, but I'm gonna get it to her.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, I am in zone 9 Calif. We had about 6 wks straight of freezing nighttime temperatures this winter. My blue
dawns froze down to the ground but came back up.

Patricia

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Hello again, I found it. Wal-Mart in Lancaster had two beautifully grown plants, no blooms. I just stopped in for vitamins and there it was. Isn't serendipity wonderful?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

gee jerodsmon.......I do not remember 6 weeks of freezing...........am I totally losing it???

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Jerodsmom, my DH says it could have that much colder where you are.......... I am amazed. We are so close.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.