Shallots are ready - now what?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

The shallots I planted last fall need to be harvested. I was thinking of mashing them and blending them with butter, and freezing in portions I can use in recipes.

Are there any easier/better ways to store them? We've used some in dishes throughout the spring, but there's a lot o' shallots out there :)

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Just treat them like storage onions or garlic, G_V.

Lift them. Let them cure in the sun for a day (just let them lay next to the rows they were in. Then hang them in a warm place out of direct sunlight to dry. When they have (takes a week or two), trim the stems to about an inch from the bulbs, and store in a dark place.

Shallots seemingly keep forever. Nine months or so, at any rate.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Brook! I think I'll go ahead and make up some shallot butter to freeze, and follow your suggestion to dry and store the rest.

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

Two years ago I harvested my shallots (here in northern Europe we plant them as early as possible in spring, which means April here) and they kept for nearly two years! I dried them like Brook said and then hung them in strings, first outisde then brought them in when it got too cold.
Go_vols
I think your shallot butter sounds good and shall certainly try it and freeze it.
Brook
I shall also try freezing my squash, according to your directions instead of trying to give them away to people who don't want them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.