It took awhile, but.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

...there are finally tomatoes showing on some of my plants. Both the Lenny & Gracies Kentucky Heirloom, and the Lumpy Red have tiny green tomatoes. Yay!

Like Melody, I was almost dispairing of seeing a crop this year. We had a long, cold, _very_ wet spring. Seedlings were overly large and had to be trenched under black plastic. The monsoons continued, however. Indeed, they still are. So I was worried about them actually rotting.

But things are shaping up. It looks like, if nothing else, I'll at least get enough for new seed.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've got blooms! I tried to keep them picked off till tomatoes were in the ground,as I didn't want them setting fruit.The Jaune Flammee,Uncle Mark Bagby and Burbank Slicing were blooming as of Sat.

I have cucumbers up .They're Straight 8's I didnt want to risk my heirloom seeds this season,so I went and bought a couple packs of these. At least they're OP.

Yellow Summer Crookneck...c.pepo are up
Butternut c.moschata are up
Kuri Red c.maxima should be any time.

My okra is starting to come up too. Dad Speegle's Special..an heirloom from SSE

The beans have not been in the ground long enough...maybe by Tues.I'll see some activity.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My DePinto's are growing like gangbusters! Lots and lots of fruit on them, and the plants are very bushy! I tied up some of the stalks and a few side shoots but just can't keep up with them all so may run strings along each side o the row. (None of the fruit is ripe yet. Bet they ripen when I'm in Tenn.)

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Melody, I planted my bean seeds Friday morning; like you, the ground was much too wet and cold to risk before that. Yesterday the first one was poking up! And no, I didn't pre-sprout them like the more energetic people. LOL They are bush varieties so should produce well this summer.

Is it worth a try to get some of yours in the ground in the next day or two?

Kathy

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

According to a local farmer, we can plant beans in Kentucky as late as July 1 with a fair assurance of bringing in a crop.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My beans were planted Sat. I didn't make myself clear. The whole garden is completely in the ground.Hopefully,I'll see beans this morning poking up.

Brook is right,lots of people around here are just getting their gardens in.Some for the 3rd or 4th time. I just didn't dare lose my seed to risk it.

And when I finally put them in the ground,I planted varieties that I had abundance of,or could lose if it washed them out.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...can't ya'll plant October beans later than that and still make a good crop? Can't remember when your first frost date is in Tenn. But those usually come in in only 60 days.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Pay attention, Shoe. We'uns is from Kentucky, not Tennessee. :-)

Not sure what you mean by October beans. There are several varieties of Fall beans, and maybe that's what you have in mind?

I have a couple of types of six-week beans as well, which reach maturity in 42-45 days. I'm planning those for after I lift the garlic in another couple of weeks.

God willing and the creeks don't rise again, anytime until July 1 is plenty safe for common beans of most varieites.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"Bonk!"...knock me in the head! Sorry, (haven't had a good faux pas in a long while). I really really DO know where ya'll live!
October Beans...actually are called French Horticultural Beans, grown as a green shelly or left to mature for dried beans. (I've only eaten them fresh.)

I remember you saying you found those 6 week beans Brook; have been waiting to hear some feedback on them. Let us know how they do, and save seeds!

By the way, I FINALLY sowed the de Farcy beans day b4 yesterday. Also one teepee of the Purple Peacock Pole beans, and of course the Tobacco Worm Beans. Looking forward to all of them!

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, Shoe, as I indicated I'm saving the six-weekers for a second crop, after I lift the garlics. I figure that will give me plenty of time to bring in a crop.

And of course I'll save seed----providing the rabbits and woodchucks leave me any. The bunnies got into the salad peas I'd left hanging to dry, and it looks like at best I'll get only a handful of them.

They also got into the main bean patch. They decimated Friend Wife's soybeans, and started nibbling my Trail of Tears (they were the ones closest to the overgrown hillside). So last night I put up a chicken wire fence around the whole patch. Tonight we replant and hope for the best.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Pesky wabbits! I have that problem here from time to time. Sometimes I spray fish emulsion on stuff just to try and deter the critters. A dust of some kind helps also (talcom powder) works but of course needs to be re-applied after rains and watering tho.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

That, of course, has been the problem. Doesn't pay to spray anything, because the monsoons return and wash it away. Lately I would have to spray every day or so. The fence just made more sense.

Wasn't all that expensive, either. 150 feet of wire, and enough T poles to support it, ran me about $36. And it's all reusable if necessary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.