Look at the 'maters I picked today!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

LOVE them 'maters! The big red ones are Patio, the orangey-yellow ones are Lemon Boy and the little tiny ones are Texas Wild. The TX Wild are yummy and sweet ~ great in salads becase they're bite sized ~ you won't have to cut them in half and shoot juice across the room.

Now if all those Yellow Pears would just turn from green pears into gold...

Thumbnail by Wingnut
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Ah the joys of "matering" Your picture looked so scrumpious I ran out to the garden and showed it to my maters so they would hurry up and get with the program. We are just now getting in ripe Stupice, Sungolds, and Windowbox. Life is Good!!! LOL

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

great looking tomatoes. i am having a good season too. thanks to melody and the seed she sent me.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL, Timothy! Let me know what they "said" about that. ;-)

Oooooh, Farmgirl! That means you have lots of heirlooms! Cool! I need to get back into them. I have lots of seeds, but didn't have time to start very many this year. Next year...

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

and to think i'm excited because i have a little baby green roma tomatoe on my plant, here in zone 5

those tomatoes look sooooooooo gooooooood. mmmmmmmmmmm

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, they were... ;-)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm frustrated that my monitor hasn't got a 'scratch and sniff' option!

At least it looks like I'll get a harvest this season,some are actually blooming after their ordeal this spring!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, Melody! If I could, I'd send you some in the mail! I was thinking about you today. Kenny and I went into town and noticed that the Tomato Honor Stand was open, a place where you can stop and pick up some tomatoes even when the owners aren't there. You just get what you want and they trust you to leave your money in the box. They had a table full of big red tomatoes! But these aren't the kind that would survive mailing to Kentucky. :(

(Zone 6a)

mmmmmm those look delicious Wingnut:) Still waiting on my first ripe 'mater.....have lots of green ones.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Ever tried them fried, OB? YUM!

Oh a fried green tomato sounds so good. I don't even have a teeny weeny tomato yet.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration. It will be quite a while yet here. I'm gonna run down there and give mine a pep talk.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL, Mary! Gonna' have a 'Mater Meeting, eh? LOLOL! Good luck!

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I have lots of green 'maters, but no ripe ones yet. My dad & mom lived out west & I was telling them on the phone about my 'maters (this was about 15 years ago)& my dad said "Oh what I've give for some home grown 'maters". I got a sturdy box & packed 6 'maters & UPSd them to him. The called me & said the --Ag Dept was after me, but that the 'maters were the best he ever had. He said only 1 got smashed a little. I had packed some sturdy packing in around them. He only lived a few years after that & that is one of the best memories I have of doing something for him.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Cool! What a nice thing to do! It's nice to know they might make it should I have any extras to send to a friend out of state. ;)

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

II was going to mail them now, I would use the new Ziploc disposable containers that don't cost much & pack each 'mater in a container. That way they wouldn't get smashed or bruised.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll keep that in mind, too, Hosta. I hadn't ever really thought it was possible to ship home grown tomatoes with much chance of them arriving in decent edible shape, so now I have hope. Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.