Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

My husband came up with an idea that I found very appealing, but I didn't know if it would work. He wants to tear all the old tin off of a large shed that has a concrete floor in it and replace it with plexiglass or glass to make a greenhouse. I think the former owners used it to house pigs in it. Do any of you think this would work I don't know much about greenhouses but have always wanted one.

Richfield Springs, NY(Zone 4a)

Just make sure it will hold the snow load. Also, if the walls are not glass(or plastic), you might not get a lot of light, only through the roof, in the winter, due to the low angle of the sun. But it sounds like a good idea to me. You might just wind up adding some windows. Don't forget about ventilation of some sort, when it gets warm out.

Price, UT

ive done it before but you do need some glass down the walls to get enough light

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

my GH is basicly the same as what you want to do, like Frank says, as long as it will take the wieght of snow, no problem, you may like to line the inside with bubble wrap for extra winter protection, have fun in your new world.

Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the advice. By weight of snow, are you talking about the roof? What type of glass or if the struture is sound? Does anyone know what type of glass is recommended for my area? Southeastern IL, fine line between zone 5 and 6.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

If you do decide on a plastic glazing, be sure to see the UV rating. Many cheaper plastics don't do well in sunlight, and get very cloudy, blocking light. I'd look at polycarbonate, double-walled... Kalwall was one of the first, but there are many others out there.

Good point darius, they go very brittle too, and break at the slightest touch.

Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

I can't post pictures yet. I don't have a computer yet, but we ordered one and it is supposed to be in around the first week of May. It will probably take me forever to learn how to use it!
On the greenhouse idea. I think the roof is a 10 12 pitch (or however that's written). I also saw some hoophouses for sale today. Anyone know the going rate for these? Are they a good investment? They looked like they were around 20 feet wide and around 30-40 feet long. Thanks everyone for helping!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.