how do you propagate Taro?

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

I have a silver leafed taro that I just love. Problem is, it rarely puts on new leaves (still has the 2 it put on in November) and there are no runners. I cut one leaf off 3 weeks ago and tried it in water, but the cutting just died. Any suggestions?

Whittier, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi there-- I'm definitely no expert as I've just begun growing taro myself, but I think division is the best way to propagate taros. Apparently they will flower with giant calla like blooms, but this is supposedly rare except in the most ideal climates. I also read that these should be relatively quick growers given ample water and fertilizer. Mine are in pots, waiting for their bed to be readied, so I have been trying to keep them small for now. Good luck with yours! :)

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

I think that taro and elephant ears are one and the same.if so...root division

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

yes, I read that elephant ears are also taro. Mine only had a few leaves the first year, but it was not a huge bulb. It should get bigger and bigger each year and have more leaves. Just fertize it.

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the info guys. I know that taro and EE are the same, The reason I asked about the cuttings, is because I thought I read somewhere that you could take cuttings from the leaves and they would also propagate. I guess I could be mistaken, hehe, ya know it HAS happened before, LOL.Toadlily
PS. Since I cut a leaf from the silver leafed taro, it has grown a new one. I guess it thinks that it is only allowed 2 leaves at a time because this is the first time since fall that it has put on anything new!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just divide our elephant ears; the first year I lifted them, the big bulbs* I'd initially planted were gone and instead there were multiple babies in their place. I separated them and put them in paper bags over the winter. Last year, I potted them up and they grew just great. This year, I kinda forgot about them down there -- thanks for reminding me so I can get them in the pots!!

* I know they're not bulbs, but I can't think of what they'd be...Corms, maybe?! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.